Monday 11th March

I got myself up and ready early to stop by Tim's with the cakes. I loaded them into the car, loaded up the most recent Toni and Ryan podcast episode and set off.

I arrived at Tim's and knocked on the door. Ellie answered with Megan on her hip and Molly holding onto her leg.

“Alice. Come in come in.” She tried to step backwards but Molly had clearly realised it was me and was trying to climb between Ellie's legs to get to me. 

I quickly side stepped in and put the cupcakes on their side board. Just as Molly crashed into me and made me wobble. 

“Hello Molly. Hey Ellie.” 

I scooped Molly up into my arms and followed Ellie towards the kitchen, cupcakes in one hand. 

The kitchen was absolute chaos. There was flour sprinkled on nearly all the surfaces, I could see cracked egg shells all across one counter top and I was pretty sure the dark viscous looking liquid was chocolate sauce but I wasn't getting close enough to confirm. 

I turned and dropped the cupcakes on the dining table before walking to the breakfast bar and popping Molly into her chair.

“What's been going on here?” I asked Ellie gently.

“Pancakes for breakfast was the intention. We made a little mess didn't we Mols?” She looked across at Molly who started to giggle as she reached for a plate of strawberries. 

I nodded as Ellie poured some more batter into the pan. 

“Molly was having a go. She's been asking for them everyday since pancake day. She did fairly well actually.” Ellie chuckled and flipped the pancake. “I'm going to clean up when they go down for naps later.” 

Ellie put the pancake onto a plate and slid it over to me across the counter. She then pointed slightly right and I could see a selection of toppings.

I opted for lemon and sugar. A classic.

Just as I took the lady bite of my pancake Ellie put another fresh one on my plate.

“Molly has definitely had enough and there was just a little bit left.” she didn't give me a chance to respond and just turned around and picked up her mug of coffee.

“So… I don't know whether I'm allowed to ask this but… have you heard from James?” 

I choked on the bite of pancake I had just taken.

Ellie looked worried and started to say ‘i'm sorry’ on repeat until I stopped choking.

“No, it's fine. Erm… I haven't, but, we agreed to give it a while. It was fast paced and we were actually physical together so much across the time we were ‘dating’.” Ellie didn't say anything but when I looked up she was nodding.

“I have been on a few dates with a guy called Callum though.” I said quietly.

“What? Tell me everything.” I told Ellie about meeting him on the train, the dates and how I haven't heard from him since.

“I just don't want to look desperate or crazy and message him again, you know?” 

“It's not desperate if you're just checking he got your last message! Do it now!” Ellie insisted. 

‘Hey, do you want to go out again this weekend?x’ 

“Perfect. Neutral and not bringing up his lack of reply right now.” Ellie nodded her approval.

I hit send.

I left soon after to head into the office and found it was really quiet. I spent the whole day with my headphones on getting on with work.

When I got home I took the boys out and I decided we should head across town and walk around the sports field for a change. 

It's a fairly long walk so we don't do it often on a work day.

I let the boys off at the park, there was no one else in sight. I was listening to the latest Dateline podcast episode and looking up at the clouds when I saw something out of the corner of my eye.

When I looked, I saw a jogger coming towards me. Then I realised they were waving. I looked behind me but there was still no one else around. 

Then as they got closer and I really focused I realised it was Scott.

“You were really away with the fairies then weren't you?” He asked me rhetorically, smiling while panting hard.

“I was concentrating on the method this lady used to kill her husband. Flawed. I tell ya.” As I spoke I turned the podcast off and showed him the screen with the Dateline cover.

Scott laughed again.

“How did you know it was me from so far away?” I asked.

“Duke and Chester are fairly unique.” 

“Do you want to get drinks tomorrow? Catch up?” He asked, having regained a steady breath. 

“Yeah I'd love to. The Bull?” 

“7?” I nodded and he put his headphones back in and continued on his run.

When I got home with the boys I was famished and decided a quick dinner was in order. 

I cooked some pasta, grated some cheese, and voilà. 

Easy.

I ate, showered and sat in bed reading.