Friday 9th February

I woke up to a text from James. He must have finished his night shift late because he text me he was going to get some sleep, 10 minutes before my alarm went off.

I went downstairs and popped some bread in the toaster and fed the boys. I spread the butter across the toast and dolloped some jam into the centre of both.

I settled onto the sofa and put the TV on. People have always called me crazy for getting up an extra half an hour early to have breakfast and just relax a little before getting ready for the day.

This doesn't tend to happen as much anymore because I now get up much earlier for work. But when I work from home, I can actually fit this in.

I put my plate on the coffee table and smiled at the boys laying in the floor nearby.

I took the boys out on my lunch break. It was grey and cold, but the rain seemed to be holding off and so we took a nice stroll around the town. Duke decided today in the walk that every leaf, every bin and every post was the most interesting thing he's ever encountered. Chester sniffed and moved in, Duke was trying to push his nose through everything.

I closed my laptop and was tidying up when there was a knock at the door. The boys echoed it, running towards the door, tails wagging.

I opened the door to see a bunch of flowers. Which then moved to reveal James standing there smiling at me.

“Alice… I've bloody missed you.” He flashed his teeth in a large grin and then grabbed me round the waist with one arm and spun me around.

I squealed and laughed.

“These are for you.” He hands me the flowers and then bends down to pick up a bag I hadn't noticed. “And I brought something special for dinner.”

“Oooo” I said while trying to peep into the bag. He pulled it closer to him.

“It's a surprise.” We went in and James went straight into the kitchen.

I followed behind and found out my vase and set about putting the flowers in.

“So am I allowed to help you cook or…” I said, turning to look over at him. He spun around and walked towards me, taking me by my shoulders. He walked me back into the living room, gently encouraged me to sit on the sofa and he handed me my book from the coffee table.

“I will let you know when dinner is done.” He went to walk away but turned back. Then he put one knee on the sofa and one hand on the back of the sofa, and lent in and kissed me. He put his other hand on the back of my head and pulled me closer briefly before pulling back and looking at me.

He went back into the kitchen and I sat reading. I glanced towards the kitchen every now and again, at the noises and the smells coming from that room.

There was a bang. Followed by a shout of “everything's fine”.

I heard Duke get told off for putting his nose on the counter. Definitely trying to take an ingredient.

I also heard a few shouts of “ouch” and “fuck”.

“Dinner is served.” I had gotten so engrossed in my book I hadn't realised he had set the table and lit a couple of candles.

“Oh James. This is so sweet. Thank you.” He held my chair out and pushed it in for me as I sat down.

He then disappeared into the kitchen and came back with some drinks. It looked like he had a beer and I had a cider, in a gin glass, because fancy.

“For tonight, you have steak and pancetta carbonara, with garlic bread on the side.” James said, putting on a fancy voice and setting my plate down and then a plate of garlic bread down. He nipped back into the kitchen and then came back out with his.

“This looks incredible.” We cheersed our glasses and tucked in.

“Oh my… that's delicious.”

“Really?” I nodded vigorously at him with another mouthful.

“I have something to tell you…” James said and I was instantly worried.

“What is it?” I put my cutlery down and took a quick sip of my cider.

“I applied for a promotion position in London and I found out today… I got it.” I watched him for a moment before responding.

“Are you happy?”

“Yes. I wanted this position for so long and I've worked really hard for it… but also no. Because I met you.” He spoke very slowly and looked down at his plate of food as he said the last.

“Well here's to you. Congratulations!” I held up my drink and smiled at him. He hesitantly held his own drink up and clinked it against my own.

“I’m sorry I didn't mention it before. I really didn't think I would get it.”

“Hey, I get it. Don't worry. Tell me about it.” I asked, keeping enthusiasm high in my voice. He told me about the position, where he would be based and his new responsibilities. As he spoke he became more enthusiastic and I was so happy to see his joy.

I really like him. And I'm so happy for him.

We finished dinner and I insisted on helping James to tidy up. I had Alexa put some music on to lighten the mood and we danced and washed up, putting things away while shaking our hips.

Everything by Michael Bublé came on and James turned around and grabbed me. We started to slow dance in the kitchen, him spinning me under his arm every now and again, and he finished with a dip. I was laughing slightly as he pulled me up to him.

“Alice…” he was looking at me with so much pain and affection.

“Not tonight James. We'll talk about it tomorrow.” I put my hands up to his shoulders and kissed him. He quickly responded by wrapping his hands in my hair and walking me back against the counter.

In a flash he had hooked his arms under my knees and lifted me to sit on the edge of the counter.

Our clothes came off slowly this time and left a trail up the stairs as we tried to make our way to the bed, disconnecting as little as possible.

Tonight we didn't think about James' new job. And I pushed it out of my mind that this will end soon.

I let myself just enjoy him.