Monday 26th February

I have a training course in Sheffield tomorrow and so today I am taking the train there and will be sitting in my hotel later doing a little bit of pre-course reading.

I love going on the train when work is paying for the ticket because I can just sit back and read and I don't really have to worry too much about getting somewhere.

The train starts getting busy and I put my book on my lap to just make sure my backpack is sufficiently tucked under my legs.

“Hello, do you mind if I sit here?” a deep voice asked as I was still looking down at my feet.

“Oh of course, go ahead.” I said as I flicked round to look at them.

The man sliding in the seat next to me appears fairly average by all means, wearing a dark hoodie and jeans with dark curly hair.

He smiled at me and muttered a thanks as he sat down putting his back pack onto his lap.

Just as I went to pick up my book again, a movement out of the corner of my eye that made me pause. 

He was pulling out a book.

It only took me a second to realise he's pulled out the same book as the one that is on my lap.

"How far are you?' I said holding up my copy of The Axeman's Jazz.

He laughed, turning his book so he could see his own cover. "About half way, you?" 

"I reckon I'll be done by the time I get to Sheffield." I responded.

“Don't spoil it for me then.” He said opening his book.

“I would never.” I put my hand to my chest, feigning hurt. He laughed and shook his head. Glanced at my face briefly before turning his attention back to the book.

I smiled to myself and reopened mine.

The only time either of us stopped reading was when the conductor came past to check tickets.

“Page?” He asked.

“379. You?” I had to peek at my book to check.

“301.” He replied with a straight face. He looked at me for a moment, the corners of his mouth twitched slightly and then he looked back to the book.

As the train approached Peterborough I closed the book and pulled my bag ontoy lap to check I had everything.

“Hey, so… could I get your number? So we can talk about it?” He lifted his book as he said the last.

I turned from my bag and was surprised to see him looking nervous. I nodded and he pulled out his phone, tapping in my number as I read it out.

“I'll text you when I'm done.” He said as he stood. He must have seen me glance up at my suitcase from the seat still.

“This yours?” He pointed. I nodded and he pulled it down, setting it on the seat he had been in.

“Thanks.” I said and placed a hand onto it.

As the train stopped I stood up and before I realised it, he had taken hold of my suitcase and stepped back slightly so I could get out ahead of him.

When we were on the platform I stepped away from the train and he walked my suitcase over.

“I'm Callum by the way.” He smiled.

“Alice.” We shook hands. “I'd better dash, I need to get a connection.” I said taking hold of my suitcase handle.

“Of course. Enjoy the rest of the book.” 

“You too.” I smiled and tucked my chin. I was certainly blushing. I walked up the platform to the information board, found the new platform I needed and headed off.

I finished the book way before arriving in Sheffield and was glad I had brought another.

As I dumped my bags down in the room I pulled my phone out to see a message from the girls in our group chat.

‘How are you Al?’ Holly had sent. Quickly the message had some love.

‘I’m ok. Just arrived in Sheffield and going to look for some dinner soon.’ 

There were a few more messages of love, reminding me I could message if I need them. But I felt ok. Sad about James. But ok.

I walked around the town a little after checking into my hotel and ordered takeaway Zizzi which I ate in my hotel room while watching The Lost City.

I facetimed with mum before bed, checking in on her and the boys, and then read a little before going to sleep.