Wednesday 28th February

When I got home from work today I dumped my bags down and said hello to the boys, who had barrelled into me and we're whining gently. I walked to the back door and as I opened it the boys pushed against each other, desperate to get through. 

I left the door open a crack and went upstairs and changed into my sports bra and some shorts and I found a dance video to follow. I needed to move my body and get the blood flowing after a slow, stagnant day in the office.

I had a quick shower and got dressed, slipping on some leggings and a long jumper and turning to the boys who were sat watching me.

“Ok boys. Let's go.” They jumped up and headed to the door and I grabbed my bag and the sweets I'd picked up on my way home.

We drove to my brother Tim's and as just as I pulled the hand brake, I saw the door pop open in the corner of my eye. A little face peeped round it.

I waved and then opened the door and got out. Molly came barrelling down the path towards me and I bent down to scoop her up.

“Hey you.” I said to her and she giggled.

“Hey you.” She laughed back at me. “

Du Du, Ches.” She reached across my shoulder and was pointing at the car. She had spotted the boys.

I popped her down and opened the back door to let the boys out.

They jumped out and went up to Molly to sniff her. She giggled and started patting them before toddling off after them as they headed into the garden and started to chase each other around. Molly quickly joined in and was running after the dogs as they dashed around the garden.

I looked up from watching them and saw Tim stood in the door smiling at Molly. 

“Hey.” I called to him.

“Hey… come on Mol, bring the boys in.” I started down the path and watched as Molly ran to the door calling out “come on, Du and Ches.” She stopped at the door and was beckoning them towards her.

As I got closer to the door the boys looked up and came running up the path and into the house.

I dropped some bits into the kitchen for them and wandered into the living room. My sister in law, Ellie, was sitting on the sofa, cooing at baby Megan.

“Here comes Aunty Alice!” Ellie sing-songed as I took a seat next to them.

“Hello there.” I said to Megan, taking her little hand that she held out to me. She looked over my face and then looked back at Ellie and let go of me to try and grab Ellie's hair, it appeared.

“Aunty Ally look what I did.” Molly came rushing to me holding a piece of paper. 

“Oh wow. I love it so much. Can you tell me how you did it?” Molly pulled herself up onto the sofa and climbed into my lap so she could see her artwork in full view.

“I started with the grass and did it like this…” she imitated scribbling the grass. “Then I did Du and then I did Ches.” She pointed at the shapes in the middle and I could see the colours of the boys clearly.

“Then I did the sun.” she pointed in the corner and then turned to smile up at me. “It's for your fridge. There wasn't anything on it last time I came round.” As she said this she wiggled off my lap and dashed out of the room.

“The first thing she said to me after getting back with Megan was, Aunty Ally needs fridge art.” Ellie said laughing.

My heart was so full.