Friday 23rd February

I woke up and stretched and when I climbed out of bed I grabbed my yoga mat and block and found a YouTube video to follow.

I was lying flat on my back at the end of the practice and I took a few deep breaths before getting up and hopping into the shower. 

When I got out of the shower I sat and had breakfast at my table and wrapped my dressing gown around me tighter. 

I made a cup of tea and got my dining table transformed into my work table. I quickly changed and opened my laptop.

‘Did you say yes to the date?’ 

I looked down at the message from James.

‘Yes, a drink tonight.’ 

‘You can tell me all about it later.’ 

I shook my head and got back to work. I walked the boys at lunch time today, when I realised it had stopped raining. 

We wandered around the housing estates and ran into every dog walker that could possibly live here. The boys got to say hello to at least 4 dogs that we haven't met before and they were wagging their tails like crazy every time.

I finished work and went around watering my plants before moving on to hoovering. I looked at the time and swore. I needed to get ready for drinks with Henry.

I dashed upstairs and threw open my wardrobe, examining what's inside. I decided on a little emerald floral skirt and a black long sleeve, grabbing some black heels and a bag as I dashed around collecting my lip balm, purse and keys.

I stood hopping on one foot at the door trying to buckle up my right shoe before it crashed back down to the floor and stood up letting out a breath and looking in the mirror.

I arrived at the pub and as I approached I took in the guy standing outside the pub, in dark sandy chinos and a tweed style jacket. He was tall and slim and shuffling his feet. He was looking down when I first spotted him and as I got closer he looked up in my direction. A wide smile took over his whole face and he flashed some very bright teeth. His bright blue eyes shone behind a set of round glasses that gave off Harry Potter energy. But it worked.

His hair is sandy blonde and thick on top and short around the sides. Just as I was about to stop in front of him he ran his hand through his hair and shook it slightly as he lowered his hand down.

“Alice?” 

“Henry?” We both laugh lightly.

“After you.” He turns to the right and holds his arm out for me to go ahead. We walked through the door and I looked around taking in the scene. Henry finds us a table in the corner and he heads to the bar to grab us some drinks.

"So you're an accountant?" I smiled at him.

"Well I went to University College London and studied Finance Management and then I went on to do a masters of the same name. I partied hard the first year and then I knuckled down the rest of the time. The library became my home, you know? And the work really paid off, I mean I got a first in both years at undergraduate and I managed to get a first in my masters. It was only because I sacrificed for the work. It was worth it because I got my job really easily and once I knew the job a bit better I felt I could relax. I'm now very strict about my work life balance…" 

I took another sip of my drink and as I placed it down on the table I realised I was almost finished and he hadn't taken one sip yet. 

He took a breath….

"Wow…" I started.

"I find that it's really important to separate work from home life and so I have fully filled my out of office time with hobbies. I mean I get outdoors as much as possible, I love going on hikes, like I said, swimming, kayaking, rugby and just anything outside and then it's balanced out nicely because I am actually a bit of a nerd, if you'd like. I play a lot of games and really just try to kick back and be in a different world. Balance you see…”

His hands are moving around animatedly as he continues to talk. He's oblivious to me I'm certain.

“When I was studying in America for a term or semester as they call it, some of my friends signed me up to audition to be an extra in Grey's Anatomy and I mean, they asked me if I wanted an actual part of course but I was focused on my studying so I just stuck to being an extra…” 

I zoned out and started debating how long I actually need to stay before I could make my excuses. Then I suddenly realised I actually have nothing to lose.

"Stop. Just stop." I raised my voice. He paused with his head slightly turned away and his hands that had been waving around, stopped mid air.

"You do realise you have talked this whole time!” I held up my empty glass to his eye line and then gestured to his full one.

“I don't think you have even had one sip of your drink… you haven't asked me a single thing about me or even given me the chance to talk. But I will say this. Goodbye.” 

I stood up, grabbed my bag and walked out. 

I didn't look around as I walked through the pub, opened the door and stepped out into the fresh air.

‘Penny, you are never allowed to set me up again’. I quickly typed out into the group chat before then calling a taxi. 

I sent a quick text to James that my “date” was a bust and his response was just a load of laughing crying emojis. I laughed out loud imagining him drunk and smirking that it went badly.

I sat in the taxi and typed out what had happened with Henry into the group chat and all the girls were going off.

‘I’m so sorry Al. He's not like that at work at all. Maybe he was just nervous.’ 

Which was quickly followed by,

‘I’m ripping him a new one.’ I laughed and put my phone away to grab my purse as the taxi stopped outside mine.

“Thank you.” I said handing him the money and climbing out.

As I took my keys out of my bag and looked towards my door I stopped short. James stood there smiling.

“What are you doing here?” I said walking over to him.

“The boys are all drunk already, they won't miss me. And I needed to see your face.” He laughed and grabbed me to him as I opened the door. He kicked it shut as our mouths connected.

The boys crashed into us as they ran to the door and James laughed against my mouth. He pulled away and quickly fussed the boys. Then as he turned back to me he flashed a wicked grin, and in a instant he had me hooked over his shoulder and was carrying me up the stairs. 

I yelped and grabbed hold of his shirt in my fists. I laughed as we bounced up the steps and as he walked towards the bed he spun around a few times before slowly dropping me down. He climbed over me, framing his face with my arms.

“So the date was awful?” He said to me, in between kissing my neck.

“What date?” I breathed out and smiled when I felt him smirk against my neck.

“That's what I thought.” He buried his face against my neck as his hands roamed my body. His hand snuck under me and he unzipped my skirt, lent back onto his knees and wriggled the skirt down over my hips.

He kissed his way up my leg, starting at my ankle and working his way up my thigh.

“You had high hopes for this date I see.” He gestured down at the thong I had slipped on.

“For this date, yes.” I winked at him and he laughed again, pushing my top up and placing gentle kisses along my stomach.

“I don't plan on letting you leave this bed until Sunday morning.” He growled at me and everything else left my mind.