Tuesday 12th March

As I dumped my things down on my desk at work my phone beeped. 

I certainly slightly got my hopes up that it was Callum. It was Ellie. Asking if I had had a reply from Callum.

Ever the optimist, the next text I got from Ellie was: 

‘Well it's only been a day and what if his nans died or something. Don't worry.’ 

I mean obviously it is possible.

I just don't think that's it. 

I'm saved from my own thoughts when Liz arrives and I make her a coffee before asking her some questions I need help on.

We sat together for most of the morning going through some paperwork I needed help with and we stopped and had lunch together. 

We like to sit outside and eat lunch when we can but when it's cold and we want to gossip we'll go and sit in one of our cars so we can chat.

We got into mine, it was parked the furthest away from the building and I opened the window a crack when we got in for the air.

“I overheard George telling Luke that the girl he was with has been cheating on him with someone else.” 

I gasped a little and then laughed.

“I mean he kind of deserves that.” I said and took a bit of my wrap.

“Oh he certainly does. Tricking us into thinking he's a nice guy but he's actually a cheater… yeah…” 

“You know I heard him say once that he really likes Fran, the new lady in reception. I hope he doesn't go after her or anything. She's so sweet.” 

“No, she's got a date with Luke coming up. George obviously didn't tell Luke that bit and I don't think Luke really likes him so after the cheating story I think he was trying to show off.” 

“But Luke's nice so that's lovely!” I exclaimed.

When we returned to work Liz went off into a meeting and I got on with sorting myself out.

I got home and took the boys out for a trot around the park. Surprisingly we didn't see any dogs but there seemed to be an awful amount of kids milling around and shouting at each other.

I got home and I fed the boys just as I was heading out the door to see Scott. 

I arrived a bit early and quickly nipped in to use the loo before ordering drinks and finding a table. 

Scott spotted me quickly and slipped into the chair opposite me.

“Thanks.” He said, indicating his drink.

“How was the rest of your jog yesterday?” I asked. 

“Hot and sweaty.” He replied with a wink. I laughed. 

“How was the murder podcast? How quickly did she get caught?” 

“Very. They knew straight away really they just needed the evidence which was everywhere.”  I threw my arms out in exaggeration.

He laughed and we chatted about work and I asked him about Jemma, he's taken her on a few dates. 

“Have you heard from James?” He asked. I looked at him straight on and shook my head.

“We agreed not to, to start with. But I'm not actually sure when that ends…” 

“Do you want me to tell you anything? Or act like I haven't heard from him either?” 

I considered for a moment.

“Tell me.” 

“He's settled in well. Enjoying the job and he's been to the pub a few times with the teams but not made “friends” per se yet. I mean he won't be able to replace me.” Scott wiggled his eyebrows at me and took a sip of his drink.

I was digesting the information and trying to decide what to say when Scott continued.

“He's not mentioned any ladies.” He's looking at me directly as he says this. 

After a moment of us just looking at each other I took a deep breath and told Scott about Callum. 

“Well I mean. I went on a few dates with him. He's ghosted me.” I shrugged and took a sip of my drink.

“James wouldn't hold it against you anyway. He's asked about you. I didn't have a huge amount to tell him, don't worry.” 

“Should I message him? We agreed to be friends after all and I care about how he's doing now…” 

“Do it. I think it's been enough time.” 

I nodded and decided this message needed some thought and some care and a few pints in was probably not the time to send something.

We shared a taxi and I was dropped off first. I did the awkward side hug in a car and I shuffled out and waved as Scott pulled away.

I went to bed, thinking about James.