Wednesday 6th March

I was so nervous all morning, getting the lady minute prep in for a big meeting I was running.  

I'm ok at public speaking, but I'm always nervous as hell beforehand. And I get the hiccups. If I'm really really nervous I start hiccuping.

Such an annoying tick for public speaking.

But it went well. 

I got back to my desk and heaved a huge sigh of relief. 

“You smashed it Al!” Liz said as she sat down at her desk.

“Thank you… do you think George asked about the history just to be awkward? I'm sure he knew about it.” I asked.

“Yes absolutely! Didn't he run the historic case?” I nodded and turned back to the pile I had just dumped on my desk. I'd got some old reports and documents out for reference so I spent the rest of the afternoon putting them away properly.

I got home and greeted the boys and we headed out to enjoy the strong sunshine that had appeared this afternoon. 

As we walked back from the park we found Charles and Percy walking towards us. 

“Hello Charles. Percy.” 

“Hello love. Duke. Chester.” As Charles said each of our names he tipped his hat. A proper old fashioned gentleman.

“How are you Charles?” I asked.

“I'm doing well, thank you. How are you? How was your meeting?” 

“Good thanks. And it went very well. Thankfully.” 

“I'm glad it went well. I don't suppose I could bother you could I? I have a letter from the council and I would like help getting online to complete the petition.” His voice was frustrated.

“Yeah of course Charles. Do you want to knock when you're back with Percy and I'll pop over?” 

Duke had started to pull on the lead and when I looked there was a squirrel sitting in the grass to the right of us. Just out of his reach. 

We got in and I fed the boys, planning on giving them their treat when I nip over to Charles'. I did a few little jobs and then popped the TV on for some background noise while I scrolled. 

It was only a few minutes later Charles knocked and I headed over with him and little Percy. 

Charles made me a cup of tea and we sat down and figured out his letter and I got the website up on his ancient laptop.

“Did you want to stay for dinner?” He asked me from the kitchen while I was loading up the right page on the website.

“Oh Charles thank you, I don't want to be a bother though.” I replied.

“Oh it's no bother, they didn't have the individual pie I normally get so I got a family one. I can't eat it all.” He was showing me the pie box from the doorway.

“Ok, thank you I would love to!” I managed to get the website loaded and while Charles filled in his information, I mashed the potatoes for him and pulled the pie out the oven when I thought I smelled burning. Only a little bit of the back of the crust was black.

Charles put the laptop away and we ate dinner, chatting about our weeks. He has a really good memory and always brings up things I've mentioned to him before.

I told him about Callum and when I mentioned how the dogs had reacted the other day he put his fork down and looked at me.

“I'd be careful if I was you! Dogs know the best.” He kept looking at me until I verbally agreed and then he went back to his dinner.

I left Charles and was greeted enthusiastically by the boys. I gave them their cube of cheese each from Charles and I decided to do some yoga, before hopping into the shower to then sit in bed and read.