Thursday 22nd February

It rained hard last night and it has rained a lot this year so as I walked into the office I looked out the windows that run along one whole side of the office and stopped.

The river had flooded over slightly but because the sun was shining, the water was sparkling. And the trees were swaying in the breeze, summer starting to show on the branches along the river edge.

After a moment I got myself set up at my desk and turned on my laptop.

The office was quiet today which gave me the opportunity to catch up with some admin that needed to be sorted.

When I got home as I put my key in the door Duke and Chester started to bark. 

“It's just me. What's going on?” I fussed them after they crashed into me at the door and I dropped my bags down.

I headed into the kitchen and saw a bunch of flowers on my kitchen island. I walked over and picked them, pulled them to me and smelt them. It was a beautiful bunch of multi colour tulips.

I watched as Duke went over to his toys and picked up his monkey and then headed into the living room with his tail wagging.

As I followed him in, I was both surprised and unsurprised to see James standing there.

I ran to him and wrapped my arms around him. He wrapped his arms around me and I felt him place a kiss on the top of my head.

“What are you doing here?” I said excitedly, tilting my head to look up at him.

“I realised what time it was and we're on a break so I thought I'd drop in. Scott's on the toilet. Sorry.” He'd flicked his gaze to the ceiling and just as he looked back to me the toilet flushed. We looked at each other for a moment and then started laughing.

“It's a very nice surprise.” I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him. He ran his hands up under my hair and cradled my neck, pulling me close to him. 

“Put her down mate.” James pulled away slightly and looked over my head. I could imagine the smirk on Scott's face and I smiled wide as James slowly tilted my head again and slowly and gently kissed me.

When he pulled away again, I slapped him gently on the arm and spun around. I'm sure I was blushing bright but I didn't mind.

“Hey Scott. I hope you cleaned your skid marks off, I'm not doing that.” 

“Woah, I thought we were close. Way to break my heart sis.” I walked past him into the kitchen laughing. I grabbed a vase and started popping my tulips on.

“I said you were like my brother. And I've never cleaned his skid marks anyway.” 

Scott opened up the cupboard and grabbed out some crisps and chocolate and turned to James.

“I'm ready mate.” James nodded and Scott headed towards the door.

“Later Al.” I shouted by and put down the flowers. I walked around the table and looked at James. He smiled down at me and kissed me gently. He then rested his forehead against mine.

“I'll see you tomorrow night.” 

James fussed the boys before heading out the door to go back on duty.

I stood looking at the front door for a moment before I finished arranging my flowers. 

The boys were both sat looking at me when I tidied up and I turned around and excitedly went, “walkies?”

They kept up from the kitchen, Chester dashing to sit by the front door, Duke speeding into the living and diving onto the sofa before then hurtling back into the kitchen. 

We headed out and I quickly realised the park would still be way too wet for them, so we headed out to wander the path that mostly circles the town.

As we were trotting along I noticed Waffle and her mum walking towards us. The boys had their noses buried deep into the hedge and didn't notice until she was sniffing Chester's butt.

Waffle’s mum and I laughed as Chester and Duke both jumped and they started all spinning around each other. When they all turned back to the bush and weren't bothered with each other anymore we carried on and Waffle went the other way. 

I got home and just managed to get changed out of my work stuff when Beth walked in the door. Box is cancelled for half term so my Thursday joy this week is Beth.

“I have so much to tell you!” Was her greeting. She walked into the kitchen and put a shopping bag onto the counter.

I grabbed out the ciders and slid one across the counter to her. She grabbed it and popped the cap off.

“Tell me everything.” She started telling me about all the little dramas that had been happening in the office. Georgia was no longer friends with Natasha but no one knew why yet. Ash is leaving for a new job, she thinks is driving but she doesn't know who for. Lesley is retiring soon.

“Oh my god. Yesterday! Laura messaged Matt saying some shit like, oh you're so funny, I really enjoyed talking to you earlier.” 

“What the?!” I exclaimed and Beth nodded enthusiastically.

“I know. He said she was really weird around him all day and then as soon as he read the text he showed it to me.” 

“She literally just had a baby. Is she not with the dad?” I asked confused.

“I think they just brought a house so I thought so. Very strange.” 

Beth had made a curry and cheesecake and so we sat on the sofa eating and just chatting. 

When her phone started ringing she showed me it was Matt and I gasped at the time. It was 11:30.

While she was on the phone I cleaned up and when she walked into the kitchen she said he was coming to get her. They don't live far away so he wasn't going to be long.

I was pretty sure I heard her say she had planned on walking home but Matt is so protective of her, in a cute way not a controlling way, he would never let that happen. 

I waved at him from the door as she walked out to the car and then I headed up to collapse into bed with Duke and Chester laying across me.