rave

Jim clasps his hand in mine, he's beaming. I'm very proud of the collection and the debut it's a huge success.

"The critics love it, they love you. It's a rave" he squeezes my hand before grabbing another glass of wine.

"Hurricane Gilmore incoming" harry whispers as he scurries past.

I turn on my heel and see my entire family plus a handful of my parents friends heading towards me. I had expected mom would be dressed in a smart suit and pearls I'm not disappointed. The only thing that does surprise me is that Jason has his arm linked with hers. Here we go, will her meddling in my life ever get easier to accept.

"Mother" I greet as we air kiss.

"So formal, it appears that you have a raving success on your hands. Everything is sold" mom points her finger at the little red stickers on the painting before us.

I nod, I greet everyone in turn. I greet Jason last, he kisses my cheek and puts his hand on my waist. He's acting way too comfortable, I'm going to have to tell him again that we're not dating. He's giving my mom the wrong impression, she thinks she's getting her own way.

"Well done it's a triumph, we should celebrate after" Jason speaks as mom's smile grows bigger.

"I can't I have a date" I blurt, he raises a brow. He knows I'm lying but doesn't say anything.

Mom grabs my elbow and pulls me out of earshot "you cannot tell Jason that you have another date, do you want him to think you're not interested and move on"

"I'm not interested "

"Don't be ridiculous, he's handsome and well respected. Hes just purchased a lovely five bedroom house in Connecticut"

"If you like him so much you date him" I regret the words as soon as I say them.

"You could do much worse, your joining us for drinks at the hotel after" it's a statement not a question.

"Fine but it's not a date, I decide who I date not you"

Mum covers her mouth and opens her mouth like she's offended "as though I would Interfere in your personal life, I'm not my mother."

I roll my eyes, she's more like Gran than she thinks. I look over at dad and he's shaking his head, he gives me a reassuring look.

"I had better get back to work, thanks for coming" I stride away and try and find somewhere I can hide. I stop at the sight of Darcy, I'm not surprised to see him here but Im surprised to see Elizabeth draped on his arm. I'm not sure if I should greet them but it's either walk past them or return to my family.

Elizabeth is the less scarier option, I walk past them and pray silently they won't notice me. My prayer goes unanswered!

"Savannah darling , what a great treat it is to see you" Elizabeth kisses both of my cheeks, I don't need to look to know she's left fire teg lipstick marks on my face.

"Elizabeth it's lovely to see you" I lie, I feel so awkward around her.

Darcy doesn't speak he just smiles and nods his head in greeting.

"I've decided it will go in our bedroom above our bed" Elizabeth exclaims as she points at the red canvas behind them. It's one of the pieces Darcy had purchased this morning.

"Great idea darling" Darcy replies. He takes three glasses of wine from a passing tray and proceeds to hand Elizabeth and myself one. He must have read my mind, I need alcohol to cope with this.

"Oh don't look now dear that god awful Gilmore woman's here" Elizabeth turns so my mom doesn't see her. I can see the humour on Darcy's face, I wonder if he will tell her who I am.

"I'm surprised she's here this isn't her scene, she's a stuck up socialite" Elizabeth adds.

"Oh yes she can be difficult" I comment.

"You know her"

I shrug "a little, I tend to avoid her"

"Oh god she's coming over, I'm going to go before she corners me and invites me over for  cream tea. I'm meeting Lawrence at 11 I probably won't be home tonight I assume you will find something or someone to entertain you" Elizabeth kisses Darcy, there's something so possessive about the way she kissed him. If I didn't know that they were in an open relationship I would have thought she was warning me that Darcy was hers.

"Savannah have you been attacked by Ronald Macdonald" mom asks as she wipes the red lipstick from my face.

"You know who Ronald Macdonald is" I dont think she's ever eaten fast food let alone Macdonald's.

Mom rolls her eyes , "oh Darcy what a surprise, I didn't expect to see you here"

"You just missed Elizabeth she had a social event to attend" Darcy kisses moms cheek

Mom turns to me and whispers "that explains the hooker red lipstick"

I bite my lips, I'm finding it hard not to laugh.

"You all know each other" I act like this is the first time Darcy and I have met.

"We've met a few times at the club and I was at your brother's wedding" Darcy plays along.

"It's a shame you're here alone, why don't you join us for drinks in the four seasons after"

"I would enjoy that very much thank you"

"Excuse me" I leave them talking and head to the bathroom to clean up.

So now not only have I got to spend the evening in a confined space with mom I now  have to make polite conversation with a guy I've fucked and a guy I'm actively trying to fuck. You could not make this shit up !