lunch

The walk from the gallery to Darcy's office building is nice, the sun is shining and I'm in a good mood. I had decided to make some coconut cookies when I had been bored the night before and decided to hand deliver some to Darcy at his office. He had commented how nice they looked when I sent him a photo so I know he will be happy when I surprise him.

I smile at the commuters as I pass, it's been a long time since I was this happy. I take the elevator and press the button for the top floor. I hum to myself as I get closer to his floor. The door opens and people join me in the tight space.

"Sav"

I look up and see Tom looking at me, shit I didn't think this through.

"Are you here to see me"

I shake my head, I can't seem to find my words.

" Jim, my boss at the gallery asked me to drop these cookies off with Darcy" "your boss" I add.

"Why" he looks confused.

" I know better than to ask my boss questions"

"How have you been I haven't seen you around"

"I've been working" I stutter.

"This is my floor, I'll see you soon"

I wave and sigh with relief as he leaves. I should have put more thought in to this, what if I see Elizabeth. The thought scares me, she makes me nervous. I could imagine her telling mom about Darcy and me just out of spite.

I should leave, I press the button for the ground floor. Before long the door opens on Darcy's floor, I plan to let them close with me still behind them but Darcy is stood waiting for me with a huge smile on his face.

"Are you not visiting" he asks.

"Is it safe"

He pulls my arm and leads me to his office. His office is large and very dark, it doesn't feel like him. It screams Elizabeth, I have a feeling she had a hand in decorating it. There's a large antique desk overlooking the city, the view is rather satisfying.

"How did you know I was here"

"He presses a button on a small remote, there's a large hidden tv with small CCTV squares. I can see everything from the reception to the elevator.

"What's in the box" he lifts the box and looks over the contents.

"Coconut cookies"

"You know how much I lo, like coconut " he takes out a cookie and takes a huge bite, he groans as he chews.

"You like, I made them especially for you"

"No one's ever made me cookies or brought food to my office " he nuzzles into my neck.

"Elizabeth "

"No never" he comments.

"No Elizabeth is on her way to, fuck" I point to the screens behind him. I can feel panic consume me.

"Were not doing anything wrong you don't need to hide"

Hide that's a perfect idea, I start to look for a hiding place. Eventually I decide to kneel under his desk, I'm hidden from view just as she enters the room. The strong smell of channel number 5 is overwhelming, she's obviously never heard the phrase less is more.

"Darling what are you eating" has her voice always been so shrill and irritating.

"Coconut cookies" he replies, I notice he doesn't greet her warmly.

"You don't even like dessert, ugh I can't stand coconut " I cover my mouth to suppress the laughter that threatens to leave me. I wonder if she even knows her husband.

"I'm busy can we speak tonight"

"I'm taking Leo to Paris for the, he's always wanted to see the Eiffel tower"

"You told your father you were going to spend the forth of July with him"

"He'll get over it, beside he will have you to keep him company"

"I told you Elizabeth I already have plans"

"Oh yes I've been told you attended the masquerade ball with a woman named Ethel"

"Esther" he corrects. His disguise must not have been as as effective as mine.

"I knew you would tire of the skinny blonde Hannah, she wasn't your type. If I recall correctly she wasn't even that pretty" I still as she refers to me, I'm quite pleased that she refers to me as skinny but less pleased when she states I'm not pretty.

"She was a beautiful woman Elizabeth, why are you so intimidated by her"

Elizabeth cackles, she almost sounds like a witch. "Me intimidated by her, I think not. You still have a soft spot for her I see"

I'm not sure if I should cover my ears, I'm totally invading their privacy.

"When will your be back from Paris,I told you we have important matters to discuss"

"Discuss then now, I have an hour"

"This isn't working, this arrangement doesn't work for me anymore. I want a divorce"

"Ofcourse darling I'll have the lawyers write up the papers immediately, do you want join custody of the dogs"

"Elizabeth I'm serious"

"Oh yes I can tell by your authoritarian tone, we shall discuss this further when I'm home"

"Elizabeth"

"I'll bring you a case of that french wine we enjoy"

"I don't even like wine, Elizabeth listen to me"

"I must dash, I don't want to keep Leo waiting."

Darcy slumps down in his chair, he looks defeated. It was only a short conversation but he looks work out.

"Wow"

"Shit sorry I almost forgot you were down there" he helps me up to my feet. I perch on his desk, I have so many questions.

"How does this affect us"

"What do you mean"

"If you end your marriage, end yor arrangement what does that mean for us" I'm scared to hear his answer, does he want to date other girls and live a bachelor lifestyle.

He takes my hand in his and looks deep in my souk " it means you can introduce me to your scary mother as your boyfriend "