Eyes are lying

I want to rub my eyes as I'm sure there lying to me, but there not. Stood in front of me is Jason my one night stand who mistook me for a street walker. I think I've swallowed my tongue, I can't speak. I can hardly think it's too much.

"You know each other" mother asks pulling me from my mindless staring.

"No, we met once. Pleasure to see you again Savannah" he puts his hand out to me. I hesitate before finally putting mine out in return, the thought of touching him again makes me feel sick.

"Wish I could say the same" I say under my breath. Jason hears me but my mother is oblivious, probably mentally planning the wedding.

"I'll leave you two to get better acquainted" before I can object she leaves.

"So your a Gilmore, I had no idea. About the other night, I'm sorry" he actually sounds sincere.

I'm not interested, I don't care what he has to say. I'm still angry that he called me a hooker. If I were I would certainly be worth more than $500 a night.

"So If you knew I was Gilmore you would have treat me with more respect, good to know I'll be certain to tell strangers my surname in future."

Jasmin smirks and I just want to wipe it from his face. "I enjoyed the other night"

"I'm sure you did when you realised it was free" I snap.

"I said I'm sorry, your going to have to forgive me. Your going to see me a lot this weekend, Kathleen has invited me to join the family in the festivities"

"Oh joy, so I have to act like your not a pig for 3 days. What fun"

"So your mother tells me you work in sales"

Sales, was that the best she could come up with. Clever really. My mom thinks I work as a barmaid in a bar so I guess sales isn't too much of a stretch.

"I work in a bar,much to my mother annoyance"

"Kathleen said you have a degree"

I nod, I do but it's never been of any use to me. I never did plan on working in art, I did a fine arts degree to please my mother. I had no interest in fine art but mother had said men would be attracted and more likely to marry a woman like that. I had no intentions of getting married now or ever but I will let her dream.

"Fine arts, I don't plan on working in an art gallery so it's pretty useless"

"Drink" a waiter asks as he approaches.

"Bless you" I say as I take two flutes of champagne downing one immediately.

"Thirsty" Jason laughs.

"No just uncomfortable" I say honestly.

We stand in silence, as the party goes on around us.

"Why did you think I was a hooker, did I look that cheap"

Jason shakes his head, he looks as uncomfortable as I feel. "No not at all I only thought it because I don't usually get a women like you to go home with me"

"A woman like me"

He looks me over and smiles "good looking, young. I'm 35 I'm no model. I just can't see the appeal"

"So if someone wants to have sex with you they're a whore"

"Savannah" I turn to see my brother looking at me with his mouth open.

"It's not what you think, we were discussing one of our favourite quotes of Hugh Bonnevilles new novel" Jason lies.

Joseph raises a brow, he's not convinced. "The guy off downton abbey"

He could have lied better than that surely, Jason doesn't smirk. His face is perfectly still, he's better liar than I thought.

"It doesn't sound like my type of book. So Jason how are you, I hear my mother's trying to set you up with my baby sister here" Joseph says as he grasps Jason's hand.

" I'm to propose by Christmas" Jason jokes.

"Not if I have any say in it, my sister's way too young for you" Joseph states. He speaks about me like I'm not even here. Mom has no chance of getting me to settle down with this pig. Although since him admitting how low his confidence and self worth is I feel like I can tolerate him a little more now.

I stand like a gooseberry as they talk among themselves. I may as well not even be here. Joseph finally goes and leaves Jason and I to continue our conversation.

"Can I make it up to you, take you on a real date"

I shake my head "I don't date"

"What was the other night then"

"Just a one night thing that will never ever happen again, believe me"

A cocky smile spreads on his face "We'll see"

And with that he walks away, I'm left staring after him.

"So what do you think, mom was right he is a looker" Grace says as she hands me another drink.

"He's alright, I guess In the right light he could be decent looking" I shrug before drinking my third glass of champagne.

It doesn't take long for our mother to wander over and chastise me for drinking on an empty stomach. I'm taken by the elbow and led to the food, she chats my ear off as she tells me all the benefits of dating someone like Jason. I jut nod as I fill my plate, she watches everything I add and comments about the fat content. I seriously can't win with her, first I'm not eating enough then I'm eating too much.

Mother takes the plate from me and sets it on the nearest side when she sees Jason approaching.

"I've not finished" I argue.

"You have now. swallow " she replies. I think of a million obscene replies but they will be lost on her.

"Jason, you just can't stay away from her can you"  she kisses his cheek and puts her hand on his arm.

"She is charming just like her mother" he replies making my mother smile, she is so easy to flatter.

"I've just come to say thank you for a wonderful afternoon but I must go back to the hotel and get ready for tonight"

"Oh leaving so soon, which hotel"

I can see where this is going a mile off.

"Savannah is staying at the Hilton" mother announces.

"What a coincidence so am I, would you like a ride"

I shake my head until my mother elbows me in the ribs "that would be great thanks"

Mother reminds me I'm to be ready by 8 and after she thanks Jason profusely as we leave. Anyone would think he had discovered the cure for cancer not just agreed to give me a ride up the road.

"Your at the Hilton" I ask faking interest.

"I am now" he smirks.

The ride is as uncomfortable as I had expected, I just want to get out and walk. It's not that he's saying anything wrong it's just I can't forget what happened the other morning. It's so cringeworthy.

I almost jump from the car when we arrive at the hotel. I walk quickly to the reception where I'm told that my simple room has been upgraded to a suite and the bill has been taken care of. I should have known my mother wouldn't be able to keep out of it. I consider renting porn so my mom will be embarrassed when she sees the bill but I decide I will just clear out the mini bar.

Jason is booking a suite of his own as I leave, he calls out as the elevator doors close behind me "I'll be seeing you around"

It looks that way.