Stamina

All I can see is white as I look around, so bland and boring. Maybe this is the reason I hate tennis or it could be the fact I was forced to play as a child. For 8 years I endured the painfully dull lessons, my coach had said I was talented but it made me hate it even more. The only time I remember getting any enjoyment from the game was the first time I won my dad, he was so proud. He has bragged to everyone in the club how I was the next tennis pro.

I see the man I met the day before sat on the bench with his cell attached to his hand, he looks as interested in the game as I do. Now I'm paying attention I can see that no one looks interested in playing, I see people holding their heads and trying to keep their eyes open. The champagne was flowing generously the night before, I'm actually surprised that everyone has turned up to play.

My nephews play on a court, their violently hitting the ball at each other as Grace fusses telling them to be careful. No exaggeration she would wrap them up with cotton balls if they stayed still long enough. Howard is more laid back, he lets the boys do what they want much to my sisters annoyance. They are so different I don't know how their marriage works but it does.

"Will my little girl join me in a game of doubles"

I can't refuse my dad, he never expects anything from me. "Sure daddy, who are we beating"

His face is so still that I have a feeling I won't like the answer. "Your mother wants a game and she's paired up with Jason"

"Oh what are you doing to me" I complain but take his hand as he helps me to my feet. I drag my racket across the ground like a petulant child. This is not my idea of fun, I don't think I will get away with pounding balls at those two. Shame.

Jason can't play to save his life, mother looks frustrated. Maybe she should have checked his skill level before she challenged us to a game. I can see she's embarrassed, everyone is watching us and our landslide victory.

Jason is out of breath and is sweating profusely as we leave the court. He looks like he's never had such a strenuous work out. I guess his stamina isn't the best when he's not under the influence.

"Better look next time" I shake his hand.

"So there will be a next time"

"Maybe for you, certainly not for me" I'm not going to lead him on any more than I already have. I made it clear when we had sex that it was a one night thing and wouldn't be happening when we're back in the city. It's a known fact that people hook up at weddings it's almost a rule. I make a point of avoiding Jason and my family the rest of the day, my brother makes his option on Jason clear when he does manager to catch me.

"Your boyfriend is looking for you " I'm sat at the bar drinking a Cosmo when I hear someone speaking.

I turn and see Darcy taking the seat beside mine, "I don't have a boyfriend"

"So you and Jason aren't together"

"No were not, I don't even know him"

Darcy orders his drink before he speaks to me again. "Your mother believes your going to date when you get back to the city"

"My mother believes many things, it doesn't mean there true"

"Mother will be disappointed, she is already planning the wedding. I heard that you can't wear a white dress" Darcy laughs.

Damn my family. "i am a disappointment, why break the habit of a life time. Was she really telling people I couldn't wear white"

Darcy nods, he's finding my embarrassment amusing. Bastard.

"So what do you do in the city"

I tell him the truth he won't believe me, he will think I'm being sarcastic. "I'm an exotic dancer , shh don't tell it's a secret. What do you do"

" if you won't tell me I'm not telling you" he replies dryly.

"Your not very forthcoming"

"Neither are you" he says draining his glass.

"I'm being summoned, it was nice meeting you." He smirks as he leaves the bar.

"Nice to meet you too Darcy, if that's even your real name"

I hear someone say my name , I quickly drain my glass and prepare to escape but Grace sees me and blocks my path.

"Savannah the boys are bored, I'm taking them to the mall"

"Yes" I almost shout.

"I haven't asked you anything yet"

"Sorry Grace, so what's up"

"Do you want to go to the mall"

"Yes, let's go"

I don't have money to waste  at the mall so I'm not planning a spending spree , I plan on window shopping. I see people who I use to know from school, they tell me out their fabulous jobs and rich husbands all I can tell them is that I have a dog. They give me sympathetic looks like my life is a disaster, I'm happy with my life. I never aspired to marry a rich man and be a socialite so I'm not jealous of my peers. I've always been the odd one out, if it wasn't for me looking like my grandmother I would have sworn I had been swapped at birth.

I sit with my frozen yogurt and ponder the meaning of life , my life in particular. I'm 21 and I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life, I can't be a stripper forever. I have no goals, I don't really have anything. It's quite depressing really, I spent years studying something I have no real interest in. I do love art I just don't see myself working in the art scene, it's a very stuck up environment.

My nephew Howie is in the arcades as I pass, he's nervously talking to two girls. God I miss being a teenager things were so much easier back then.

"Aunt Savannah" he calls me over, I'm immediately suspicious, he's not talked to me the whole trip.

"Yes Howard jr"

"Howie" he corrects with a sigh. I do like to tease him.

"What do you want"

"Can you Loan me $20"

A girls stood by his machine smiling shyly.

"That's Emma I wanted to take her for frozen yogurt"

I nod "Do you know the definition of Loan"

"I'm not stupid"

"So when would you be returning the $20 and at what interest" I tease.

"I'll rephrase , can I have $20"

"Fine on one condition"

"Shoot"

I try to think of an evil condition. I have it. "Tonight at dinner you have to sit next to gran, you have to report back everything she says about me"

"That's worth more than twenty bucks, grans crazy"

"Frozen yogurt $10, money from Aunt $20 dollars. Taking Emma out on a date . Priceless"

"Fine" he snatches the twenty from my hand and storms of with the girl.

" love you Howard" I call after him.

He turns and gives me the one finger salute.

"How rude"