Gucci is a girls best friend

After finishing off our food and drinking all of my wine Tom falls asleep. I throw a blanket on him and grab Butches lead.

The streets are dark and empty but not silent. I don't think I've ever heard silence in New York. Even in the dead of night you can hear sirens filling the air or the curses from passing cab drivers. I don't think I could love New York more than I already do.

It's been an unusual day, but a good one too. I really should call Darcy and thank him for my gift. The first thing I did when i found Tom snoring was to look at what Darcy had bought me. I was astounded to find a black Gucci bag, I'm totally in love with it. It's like nothing I own, it's stunning. I dial Darcys number, my fingers shake as they hit the numbers.

My heart falls out of my ass when I hear a woman's voice at the other end of the line. I almost release the call but I'm frozen.

"Savannah are you there"  how does she know my name, I'm assuming it's Darcys wife.

"Um yeah" I stutter, I bet she thinks I'm an idiot.

"I'll get Darcy for you dear, just one moment"

"Thanks"

I hear her call Darcys name, this is so awkward "did you like the bag"

The fact that she knows about the bag is weird, why did he tell her. " yeah it was nice I was just calling to thank him"

"I knew you would like it, I know you probably find our arrangement odd but it works for us. You should really give him a chance" How bizarre.

"I don't judge what I don't know but I know it's not for me, I respect that your arrangement works for you but I couldn't deal with it"

There's a long pause as though she's processing what I'm saying, "ok dear, well Darcys here."

I'm relieved that I've spoken to Darcys wife now it's great to know that he hadn't lied to me about his open marriage.

"Savannah, are you ok. Do you like the bag"

I suddenly feel nervous to be speaking to him " I just wanted to thank you, it's really too much though. You really shouldn't buy me gifts"

He lets out a hearty laugh " if we're going to be friends then you had better get use to it"

"You don't have to buy my friendship"

"Savannah I make plenty of money and it makes me happy to buy you gifts. Don't take my happiness off me"

I laugh and don't argue, it would be pointless anyway he's made up his mind.

"Can I take you out for a drink tomorrow"

"I have plans during the day but I'm free in the evening"

"I'll pick you up at 8, just as friends I swear" I imagine that he's smiling down the phone.

We say our goodbyes so I finish walking butch and head home. Tom is still sleeping, he's snoring loudly. I remove his shoes and re adjust his blanket.  Strangely excited for the day ahead, I'm nervous in equal measure though. I'm blurring the lines on two relationships and it's really not a great idea but I can't help it. Deep down I don't think Darcy will accept just friendship and I guess I'm leading him on but there's just something about him that I can't refuse.

Tom and I on the other hand have been together so I know how good it can be but is it really wise for us to be so close. We never said that tomorrow was a date but it feels that way and it's scary.

My life is so busy right now that introducing a man into the mix really isn't a good idea. Ideally I could do with a man who is just around when I need company or companionship. Yeah what I've just described is pretty much all Darcy would be so I don't know why I won't give him a chance.