Did we

"Butch" my dog is snoring loudly, I'm so tired that I can't find the energy to open my eyes and move him.

He continues to grunt and moan like a pig, he's driving me crazy. I drank too much once again so even attempting to open my eyes hurts. I can feel the side of my skull throbbing like someone's kicking me. I try to sit up but my whole body aches. As I move I can feel that I'm still wearing my clothes from the night before, it's my unusual for me as I usually sleep naked. I finally manage to stand, all the blood rushes to my head almost knocking me off my feet. I stumble across the floor and almost scream when I see butch laid on the floor with a mans shoe under his stomach.

"If Your here, who's in my bed" I whisper to myself.

I turn and move quietly back to the bed, I glide gracefully across the floor without making a sound. I guess the ballet lessons I was forced to take as a child finally came in handy. I crane my neck to see the man who slept beside me, I know we didn't have sex as I'm fully dressed and as far as I can make out So is he.

I realise my mystery guest is Darcy, I don't know why he's here and for the life of me I can't remember. I back away and grab a change of clothes from my closet before running to the bathroom.

I stand under a cold shower and try to remember the nights events, I remember drinking champagne and cocktails with Darcy and the girls. I even remember leaving but it takes me a few minutes to remember how we both ended up at my place.

... that morning 4am....

I'm finding it amusing that Darcy drops his keys down a grate. I know it's not funny but the look on his face makes me bend over in hysterics each time I look at him. I hold my sides as he gives me a look of mock annoyance. The more I try to calm down the more I laugh.

"It's not funny, how am I suppose to get in my house"

I roll my eyes, a guy like Darcy certainly had a doorman at his building, surely they could let him in.

"The doorman will have a spare key"

He shakes his head "We changed the locks and never gave a copy, the only other key is in New Jersey at the house"

Of course he has a condo and a weekend house, he probably has property at the Hamptons too.

"Right, erm. I don't have a spare bedroom. Actually I don't have Any bedrooms but you can sleep at mine till you sober up

He nods and follows me to the awaiting cabs.

"The bar 47th street please" I say to the driver as Darcy closes the door behind him. 

"Another bar, I need sleep" Darcy complains.

"I live above the bar" I explain.

He looks confused but nods. He's probably wondering why a Gilmore lives in a small studio apartment and not in a building with staff.

The whole ride is silent, Darcy is struggling to keep his eyes open as we travel.

Darcy pays the fair and follows me to the back of the bar and climbs the stairs up to my apartment. Butch barks as we approach, he really is the best guard dog.

"Hey baby, did you miss me" I ask him as I stroke his fur.

I notice Darcy looking around the compact apartment with interest.

"You weren't kidding about the bedroom" he says as he points to the bed at the end of the room.

"There's bedding and cushions in there, I'm just going to clean my face" I point at my hamper and head into the bathroom.

I look at myself in the mirror and wonder what the hell im doing. Why did I bring him here, he had money I should have just let him stay at a hotel. I tell myself how if my family hear about this they won't believe that nothing happened between us. Then it hits me; it hits me like a train. Does he expect something to happen between us, have I made him think I will sleep with him. I begin to panic, I spend way too much time in the bathroom worrying. When I finally leave I'm relieved to see Darcy asleep on the top of my bed fully dressed.

I take sigh a breath of relief, after taking Butch outside to do his business I remove Darcys shoes and cover him in a blanket. I slip in the bed beside him and fall into a deep sleep.

... present ...

I'm relieved that nothing happened between us, I really don't need any more complications in my life. I apply a little make up and style my hair before slipping on some skinny jeans and a graphic t shirt.

I laugh to myself when I walk back into the room and see Butch sleeping by the side of Darcy.

It's only 10 but I'm not sure if Darcy had work and whether he needs to leave. I make a pot of coffee and gently try to wake him from his slumber.

"Not now Elizabeth" he mutters

Elizabeth, maybe that's his wife.

I shake him again.

"Darling please let me sleep"

"Erm Darcy, it's not Elizabeth. I'm savannah you stayed at my place remember" I say softly.

His eyes fly open, he looks around the room with confusion. He puts his head in his hands and sayings against the light.

"Please tell me you have coffee"

I hand him my cup and watch as he drinks. "Did we"

I laugh, "no believe me if we did you would remember"

He nods, he's still a little sleepy. I don't know how much he remembered so I give him a brief version of the mornings events. I see a light click on behind his eyes as he remembers.

"Those cocktails were lethal, what time is it"

"After 10"

"Fuck, I have a meeting at 12." He seems really panicked. There's no way he will get home and ready in time for his meeting.

"Right you go shower and I'll iron the clothes your wearing, you should be presentable enough" I offer.

He does as I say and follows my directions to the bathroom. Once he's out he hands me his clothes through the small crack in the door.

I have his clothes ironed and his shoes polished as he returns from the bathroom in his underwear. His hair is damp but combed so it falls into his usual style.

"You didn't have to polish my shoes" he says as he looks over my work.

"It's all part of the service" I joke.

He smiles as he dresses. "I'm glad I went out in a suit, it's just a shame I left my tie in the car"

I turn and route through my closet, I bought a tie only a month before for a Christmas present for my dad. It's light blue with a small silver pattern sewed on it. I grab it and hand it to Darcy.

"This is nice, thank you. Why do you have a tie"

I shrug " I started Christmas shopping"

"I'll replace it i swear"

I nod, I believe he will.

Before long he's dressed, he has no choice but to use my deodorant and toiletries. He laughs as I hand him a cologne sample out of my magazine.

"You think of everything, what would I do without you"

"It's the least I can do , you paid the tab" I remind him. He laughs then pulls a face as he remembers the expensive bill presented to him at the bar. He must have been under the impression that slim girls can't drink much, but how wrong he was.

I offer to make breakfast but he refuses as the meeting will be catered. He repeatedly thanks me as  I see him out.

"That's my good deed done for the year" I tell Butch as I attach his leash.

Other than with family that was the first time I had shared a bed with a man and not have sex with them. I guess this is what you would call growth.