breakfast

I sleep better than I thought I would, better than I had in a while. I turn to wake Darcy up but he's not there, I jump up and look for him. Did he regret declaring his love for me, had he changed his mind. I jump out of bed and run to the desk where my cell sits, I have no messages from him. My heart drops, I look down at my feet and see the suitcases I had left in the lake house were now in the room. I rummage through by luggage and pick out a simple dress and sandals, I leave my room in search of Darcy. As I near the dinning room I recognise his hearty laugh.

I finally relax when I see him sat at the table eating breakfast with my family, he stands and pulls out my seat. I don't need to look to know my mom is watching our interaction. I help myself to breakfast and listen to the men conversing.

"So structurally it's ok, will it need a full re hall inside" Howard asks, I realise they're talking about the lake house. Darcy must have retrieved our things this morning.

"Yeah structure is fine, It needs new windows but I was planning on gutting it all anyway. Nothing has been done to it since my grandparents died twenty years ago"

"I know a guy at the club that will do you a deal, I would not trust anyone else" dad adds.

"Great I'll have to take his number, I was planning to start work in the winter but I suppose there's no time like the present"

"The fire chief was right it could have been much worse, I was surprised how little damage there was" dad comments, Howard nods his head in agreement.

"You've seen the house" I ask.

"We drove down early this morning to meet with the team who are securing it" dad hands me a cup of coffee, he gives me a reassuring smile.

"Thank you for helping him, I really appreciate it"

"Were your family it's what we do, if you and Darcy are a couple now that makes him family too" dad looks at me and purposely doesn't look at mom. Mom I'd scowling but doesn't say anything.

"Are you planning on staying for the rest of the weekend or heading back to the city" grace asks.

"Ofcourse their staying, why wouldn't they stay " mom asks, her tone is stern. I feel a chill down my back.

Grace opens her mouth to speak but decides against it, she lifts up her fork and continues to eat.

"$20 and I'll tell you what I know" Adam whispers in my ear as he passes. Howie laughs, he obviously taught his young brother how to get money out of me.

I nod with narrow eyes, it's almost like a scene from a mafia film. The thought makes me smile.

"Now the children have gone we can discuss the more sensative topics" mom stares at Darcy, I swear I see him shiver.

"What are your intentions with our daughter" mom asks.

"I want to get to know her and build a life with her"

"Is marriage and children on the table"

"Mom you can't ask him that" I turn to Darcy and mouth "sorry"

"I can and I will, Savannah is 21 years old with full life ahead of her. Savannah has a great job and a happy life, I don't want you getting over your wife by getting under her"

Coffee gets spat across the table by virgin my dad and grace, their not the only ones surprised by her words. I want to crawl in a hole and die.

"Savannah is no rebound like yot said she's an incredible woman who deserves the worlf and I want to be the one to give it to her"

"So marriage and children" mom prompts.

Darcy takes my hand and gently squeezes it " I'm not divorced yet but yes, I want marriage, children a whole life with her. I've never wanted anything more"

We've never discussed this , it's all happening so soon. I leave the table and head to the bathroom where I proceed to throw up.

When I return to the table my mom and dad are discussing Darcy's divorce and pre nup like it's normal dinner conversation. Darcy seems unphased he looks at me, he has a worried expression on his face.

"I told you the bbq chicken was underdone"