Scene of the crime

I dont get the afternoon of sleep I had planned, I was interrupted at 4 by my sister and mom. They thought it best to pre approve my outfit for the party, the way they act would make anyone think that I have turned up to formal events in a bikini. Ok that did happen but only once, and in all fairness I thought it was a beach party.
They decide the knee length navy dress I had brought was good enough although the shoes they are not as happy about. My mother refers to my red sky scrapper heels as "hooker heels".

"The scene of the crime, I hope the sheets have been changed" Grace sits on my bed, trust her to being Jason up. My mother's ears perk up.

"Jason couldn't take his eyes off you at brunch, have you made plans to meet when you go back to New York"

"No why would we, I probably won't see him again after this weekend"

Mother's heart stops, "Your not saying what I think your saying"

"It depends what you think I'm saying"

Mother looks a to Grace for back up " you can't have relations with a man then not see them again. I can't believe your suggesting that. I thought I taught you to value yourself"

"I do value myself that's why I know I deserve better"

... ...... ....   .....

Since our conversation at the hotel things between my mom and I have been tense. We havent spoken unless its necessary, she made it clear she didn't respect me. I was too busy catching up with relatives to really give her and her old fashioned views a thought.

Jason has pretty much stayed away, I think my brother had something to with that. He has stayed closer to Jason than he has his bride, he's like a chaperone.

The party is as grand as I had expected, the lawn is covered in white tables and a large dance floor. Everyone is having a good time , apart from me that Is. I just want to leave, I take my change to escape when the speeches are being made. Everyone is focused on the main table so no one sees me slink away. I walk behind the bushes and head to my old play house. I notice the door is already open and there is smoke in the air.

"Hello"

"Shit, sorry I'll just be a moment. I got lost"

The poor guy thinks he's in trouble, "hey is it ok for me to come in, I need a break from all that"

I poke my head around the door and see a man wearing a grey suit smoking a cigar while sitting on my childhood furniture. It's almost comical seeing his large frame being perched on a small wooden chair.

"I thought you were the Gilmore woman for a second there. Come in before they make you join in with the festivities"

I do as he says and sit on the chair opposite him. "Which Gilmore woman fills you with such dread"

"Kathleen, I swear when she speaks my balls retract in to my body"

I should be offended, she is my mother after all. Instead I nod before giggling.

"Darcy" he says offering me his hand.

"Savannah. Savannah Gilmore the daughter of the ball whisperer"

He fakes embarrassment, "I didn't mean that"

"You did and it's ok, she drives me crazy too. So welcome to the club"

"There's a club, do we have a secret handshake" he takes a large drag of his cigar before offering it to me.

"The two finger salute " I take the offered cigar and savour in the flavour, I don't smoke often but when I do I truly enjoy it.