hiding

Mom insists that we don't attend the country club with them she says it will start rumours and it's better that no one sees us together until the divorce is underway. I don't argue, I loathe the country club. I hadn't always been this way, it all changed when tim ended our relationship. Tom declared I was boring and he didn't want the same life his parents had. He said I was a clone of my mom, I realised he was right. I dressed his she deemed appropriate, I only joined clubs that would benefit my college applications and played the role of socialite to a tee. I hadn't realised how stuck I was, when I finally did leave for college I was thrust into a whole new world where you didn't have to dress formally for dinner or attend the country club just to keep up appearances. I had never felt so free, after spreading my wings so far I had struggled to retract them. I couldn't fit back in with my family or these people any longer but if I tried I was able to fake it.

"So we have the house to ourselves what should we do" Darcy asks, I know what hes thinking but after suffering with food poisoning just hours ago I don't exactly feel sexy.

"We could play tennis"

"You hate tennis"

"I hate playing tennis at the club, especially with my mom" I clarify, I took lessons for years so I know I'm a good player.

"I have to warn you I'm very good"

We don't bother changing into whites it's too formal and reminds me of the torturous lessons I had endured.

Darcy grunts as he reaches the the ball, he's definitely not as good as he thought he was. I find it amusing that I'm able to beat him so easily, I'm sure his pride will be a little sore when we're done.

Darcy signals that he wants a timeout, he's double over breathing heavily.

"Can we postpone I dont feel too well"

I roll my eyes, I know he's faking illness so I don't win him in an embarrassing landslide victory.

As I move closer to him I notice his face is red, he actually looks ill. He lunges forward and vomits on the court, it makes me queasy. I'm not sure I can keep my own vomit at bay, I look away as I help him in the house. I guess he didn't come away from the undercooked chicken unscathed either. I'll wait until he's better before I say I told you so.

I leave him in the bathroom and head to clean the court, before I finish cleaning I feel my stomach tumble. I know it's coming, I can feel it build. I add my own vomit to his and start dry heave.

"I'll clean it for $20" Adam offers as he appears out of nowhere.

"Deal" I tell him before running back to the house. Can this weekend get any worse.

............

"Mushroom quiche" mom offers as she approaches the deck chairs.

"Oh I liked the one from this morning do you have any without mushrooms" Darcy asks.

"Only these sorry"

I don't know how he can even think about food right now, my stomach is only just feeling better and he was much more sick than I was.

"You owe me $40 pay up" Adam places his hand on the table with his palm up and open.

"You do why" Darcy asks

"It's a long story plus I only owe him $20"

"No $40"

"I'm still waiting on the intel from breakfast, your not getting paid until I get what I want"

Adam looks around to see who's in earshot, luckily mom and dad are in the kitchen so he deems it safe.

"Grandma said that you had good tastes that other than his ridiculous wife Darcy is a good choice. She also said it will be difficult you two dating without causing a scandal but she thinks that she can work the situation to your advantage" he pauses and raises his hands

"That's all I know" he adds before snatching the money from my hands.

"Does everyone think Elizabeth is ridiculous" Darcy muses to himself

"Yes" Howard, grace and I say in unison.

"I suppose I just got used to her and her eccentricity"

"Lucky for you I'm easy going and not at all complicated" I comment as I sit on his lap.

Mom laughs as she walks by "yes and I'm Whitney Houston"