Later

Tom had been so embarrassed by his outfit at first but now he was lapping up the attention his colleagues were giving him. He was like a kid high on sugar, smiling and bouncing off the walls. Everyone just loved his outfit and thought he was hilarious.  I don't feel as out of place as I had originally thought, everyone makes an effort to engage me in conversation. I do however have to tell more than one person that I'm not toms girlfriend.

A woman called Alice has spent most of the game telling me how satisfying her job is and how she couldn't imagine doing anything else.

"So what do you do" Alice asks. I'm lost for words . Did she actually just ask me a question , I thought this was the Alice show. I have a feeling she won't appreciate my job or think it's a worthy career. 

Do I lie, do I tell. A smile creeps oh my face as the words leave my mouth. "I'm a dancer, although I'm currently considering working in erotic art"

Alice's lips quiver as she decides how to reply, she opens her mouth to speak but quickly closes it again. Tom looks over at me and smirks it appears he's never seen her lost for words.

"What type of dance" a man called him asks breaking the awkward silence.

"Exotic" I say proudly.

I notice the men around us move closer to be a part of the conversation, typical.

" no wonder your in such great shape, me and the wife went to a club for our anniversary in the city and it was amazing." Jim replied.

Alice still had not found her voice, i see Tom out of the corner of my eye and he's smirking. I find myself searching the room for Darcy, it isn't long until I find him leant against the bar with his eyes locked on me. Being friends with him is going to be harder than I thought. He really has no intentions of leaving me alone, he won't stop pursuing me.

"Yeah I enjoy it, it's hard work but it's rewarding"

"What's the money like" Alice says breaking her silence.

"Its a little quiet at the moment but when it's busy it can be good, more than I got when I was a secretary"

I notice the women nod in approval, I answer the other questions thrown at me while trying to avoid looking into Darcys eyes. Why am I so tempted by him.

"Did Tom tell you about the ball next week" Alice asks.

"I haven't had chance, plus i wasn't sure if savannah would want to see me again after she had endured all of you" Tom joked.

I laugh and punch his arm " there all lovely, I think you exaggerated"

"What did tommy boy say" Alice asks, her voice laced with curiosity.

"That you were a horrible lot" I sat seriously. It doesn't take long for me to break character and start laughing. "No Tom said you were all great, he's loving his internship as far as I'm aware that is"

"Your right, I do" Tom says as he puts his arm over my shoulders. "So you want to be my date to the ball"

The crowd around us had moved so I could answer Tom in privacy, the only thing was that now i had nothing to hide Darcy. He's not taken his eyes off me and I fear I'm looking at him just as much.

"Just as friends"

He smirks and nods "of course, you see Dawn, the blonde over there" he gestures with his head to the slim woman by the window who seems engrossed in the game.

"Yeah she's pretty"

"I'm kind of into her but she's not interested. Apparently I look like a player who doesn't know how to treat a lady" he laughs and downs the last of his beer.

"Well she's not completely wrong, unless you have changed" I laugh. Tom didn't treat me the best when we had dated, I doubted he had changed that much but I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"And having me as your date will help you show her your not a player how" his logic got lost somewhere along the way.

"Well you tell her we're friends and you big me up"

I smirk, only a man could think this plan would work. "Ok so what day is this ball, I do have a job remember"

"Next Friday, I could take you out and get a ball gown"

"I'm sure I can sort out my own outfit"

"I'm sure you can but surely dancing isn't that lucrative of a career" he's insinuating that I need his help with money. I'm really offended but i try not to show it.

"I do ok and like I said I may be a curator at a gallery by the end of next week, maybe you should go talk to dawn and start the groundwork"

Tom follows my advice and leaves me to my own devices, I'm happy to finally have a moment to breath. I'm feeling so overwhelmed, being so close to Darcy is messing with my head. I can feel his eyes on me, I turn and watch the game but I know he's still looking at me.

The room erupts into cheers as we win the game, Darcy strides over to me and whispers in my ear.

"We still going out tonight" I can feel his hot breath on my neck.

"Yeah ok, are you picking me up later"

"Well your here now why don't we just go from here, oh yeah I forgot you dont know me do you" he says with sarcasm.

Darcy leaves before I have a chance to reply, he walks around the room and speaks to each person before he returns to me.

"Get your stuff, I'm giving you and Alice a ride home as you both live my way"

After exchanging goodbyes the three of us piled into Darcys town car, the silence was deafening. The only time any of us spoke is when Alice got out of the car and thanked her boss.

I don't know how it happened but my lips touch Darcys as soon as the door closes.