Chapter 28: Justin Beeber

-Life is full of surprises. The table can turn anytime. Be ready for it.

Hannah Charles

"What are you doing here?" A voice said behind me.

My body moved around swiftly. A blonde woman who was about half a foot shorter than me stood in her off-shoulder mauve gown.

"Miss Payne," I replied in surprise.

"Tina, you can call me Tina. No need to be formal. Miss Payne sounds like an old hag," she said, clutching her silver satin clutch as if someone was about to steal it. "Anyway, what are you doing here? I told you specifically to be by Rob's side all the time."

Staring on the dance floor opposite of me, I wanted to tell Tina that Robert was there with the French actress, probably dancing. Now, I couldn't possibly be by his side -Marie Antoinette will think of me as a freak, intruding their dance.

My eyes zoomed around for a possible glance of Robert and Marie but they weren't there, not even their shadows. I double scanned the crowd, my eyes moving from famous celebrity faces to infamous ones, still not a trance of them.

I shrugged. "He was on the dance floor awhile ago with Marie Antoinette, the French actress. I couldn't possibly invade their privacy."

Tina turned behind and pointed her index finger, saying, "Where are they now?" Shaking her index finger towards me, "See that was why I told you not to leave him."

She didn't sound mad but I felt tremendously guilty. Maybe I wasn't meant to be a bodyguard. A week, almost a freaking week I had been a trainee and I didn't do anything to make her impress of me. She'll surely report me back to Ricky, the head of security.

"He was with me a moment ago until he met the French actress." It wasn't in my blood to argue with her. "Let me find him. The club is huge; he must be in a corner somewhere." I was about to leave her when she said, "Wait." I turned to face her again. Earlier, her hair was elegantly pinned at the back of her head in a bun with a shining peacock pin. But now a few strands of hair betrayed her- hanging loose. She slid them behind her ears while she continued, "I've already done my part for tonight. I'm going back home."

She stared intently at me before she continued, "Tt's already eleven. You stay with Rob until he decides to go back."

It was already eleven? Dang! I need to call Alex right away. "How will I get home Miss Payy..- I mean Tina? It's already late." I almost whined in frustration. Tonight was the first time I was working late and I still hadn't notified Alex about my safety. I'll have to use Robert's phone to text him. I didn't think he'll hear me over the crowd if I call him.

"I'll make sure Robert sent you home since you'll be riding with him. I'm sure he can spare his ego to drop you home safely." Both Tina and I chuckled over the word ego. "Now, go and find him. Text me as soon as your eyes spot him. I don't want anything unexpected to happen."

Why was Tina worried about him? He was after all big, tall and muscular. I was sure he could keep himself safe and sound. If that was the case- he wouldn't need a bodyguard, right? I refrained myself from asking that question to Tina -my job might be at stake if I do.

"Ok Tina, I'll text you as soon as I find him." I assured her not to worry and she left me alone to find the hulk by myself. I signed.

Where is he?

Passing by the dance floor, examining each and every faces to gladly spot a glimpse of the handsome actor but no, he wasn't there. I frowned. Where could he be? Ah, maybe he was enjoying Justin Beeber's Beauty and a Beat. Moving further in the middle, pushing and shoving people out of my way to get a better view of the stage - many celebrities were grooving and jumping to the singer's tone.

Then, my eyes landed on Justin Beeber. I saw him earlier from afar but now that he was a few inches away, I could touch him with my bony fingers if I decided to stretch out my arms. He wasn't a little boy anymore. A full grown-up man with tattoos all over his arms, gold chains around his neck and his Adam's apple moved as he was singing while he descended the few stairs of the stage.

The dancers parted way as well as the melody changed into something romantic. Another singer ascended the stairs, gladly taking hold of the microphone from Beeber's. The lights in the disco became dimmer. Couples stopped jumping around. Men grabbed hold of their partner's waist ready to sway their body while the women wrapped their arms around the men's neck. The singer, I had no idea who she was, started singing her slow romantic song. Her voice was remarkably beautiful, strong and full of pitch. Couples instantly slipped in a slow dance motion, lost in their partner's embrace.

"Are you a new artist?" I didn't realize Justin Beeber was standing next to me - merely inches away. I turned my head around making sure he wasn't talking to someone else.

"Me?" I said pointing at me -oh I was being silly.

"Yes lovely lady, I'm talking to you." He smirked.

I would have melt if I liked him but no I wasn't really a fan. I was enjoying the fact that this famous singer here was talking to me, thinking I was an artist.
"Ermm no, I'm not an artist."

"No wonder I haven't seen you around. I'm Justin Beeber by the way," he said, still smirking at me while he extended his hand for me to take it.

I stared at it. The tattoos weren't that fascinating. It looked as if he didn't wash his hands for years and left it stained for life. 

Oh, I was taken aback when he took my hand in his, kissing the back of my palm in a long lingering kiss all the while holding gaze with me. It felt weird and good at the same time.

My mouth hang opened and closed and opened again. I wanted to say something but his lips were burning my skin unlike Jared, who gave me a quick peck.

"That's because she's with me." A familiar voice intervened the harmless conversation between me and Justin Beeber.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks your reading.