Chapter 67: Not a Trainee

"There are two kinds of people in this world; one who gives their gifts to others and others who keep their gifts to themselves."

Hannah Charles

After the Justin Beeber scenario, I chattered with the receptionist regarding nothing in particular to kill time and distract my mind. Our conversation branched out to be exceptional as we discussed about Chicago's best pizza place in Grand Park. Out of the blue, an imbecile bumped into my petite frame. In my defense, I didn't even move an inch. I whirled around to cast an evil eye at the person whose leg had grazed my ankle. Much to my surprise, Robert stood tall in his black tie attire while he fixed his navy tie. It was the same tie he had worn to secure his sights when he had stripped my clothes. The unexpected event that took place that night played in my head. His magical fingers worked miracles to excite me. The way they twirled around, my insides yearned for his touch again. The sudden crude sound caused me to wave the not so naïve thoughts out of my head.

"I'm expected by the Darcy's siblings," he remarked to the receptionist as if she was supposed to know to the reason he was here. I should know this, right? No, I guessed not. I was just a bodyguard in training.

The receptionist replied, "Good afternoon, sir. They're waiting for you on the 8th floor."

She handed him an identical black card she had passed to Alex. Robert nodded as he snagged the card from her. His sight lingered for bliss seconds on mine. His yummy blues glared deep into my soul before he departed to the eighth floor. I expected him to say a word or two, perhaps, a short hi or bye. On the contrary, he shifted his gaze and avoided saying any significant words to me, not even an apology for kissing and bumping into me. He must have been blind; otherwise, he would have spotted me standing a foot apart from him by the receptionist desk. He was indeed a real bastard for ignoring my being, a certified one to be exact. Why on earth had he kissed me if he had already decided to forget about it? He was everything I thought he was when I first met him. Just then, I told myself to do the same; ignore everything like celebrities do.

Hannah, forget the kiss, forget his magical fingers and his touch. You're a bodyguard, a person not worthy of anything.

Not worthy, is that what his kiss meant?

My eyelids dropped, my head swayed. This was the kind of opinions I was trying to get away from; opinions of him and the kiss.

*_*

Later that day, Tina rang Alex's cell informing the studio would be closed for two weeks due to the storm. I was surprised to receive her call on my best friend's mobile. Then, I remembered writing Alex's number as an alternate contact on the form I had filled during the interview. I projected the unknown caller to be Robert. Little to right, I was wrong. He wouldn't waste his precious time to ask how I was doing after I saved him from his cracked ex-girlfriend.

*_*

Two weeks later, I drove to the Whales Studio. I observed my scars as I rotated the wheels. The burn wounds on my wrist were almost healed. Alex brought me to visit his family doctor. Her herbal medicines and cream worked miracle on me. In a week, my wounds were covered by new layers of the epidermis. The only thing I had to deal with was the scar. The doctor said it would take 6 weeks for the scar to disappear. She reminded me to be consistent in applying Aloe Vera gel on the affected area.

Nervousness crept into me as I entered the studio. My trial period as a trainee bodyguard was over. Today, I'll know the verdict. My neck crooked around the perimeter whilst I marched to Ricky's office hoping I'll spot a certain hulk. All I saw were glasses and metals debris. No sight of anyone I knew. The storm had wrecked part of the windows, poles, and roofs of some sets. A lot of work had to be done in order to fix the place.

The door of the head security came into view. I halted my tracks and tapped on the door.

"Come on in," muttered Ricky in his stud tone.

I twisted the knob and sauntered in the room. "Good morning, sir."

"Good morning, Miss Charles. Have a seat." He motioned at the vacate chair across of him.

The other bodyguards weren't present. I half expected to see them. So, it was just me and him, no others and certainly no Robert. I sat, fondling with my fingers.

"How are your arms?" His first choice of question caught me by surprise.

"They're healing, thanks for asking." I watched him take some documents from his drawers and placed them on the table.

"What you did to protect Robert was remarkable. You put him first and that's a quality possessed by a bodyguard," he paused, pointed his index finger at me, "Always putting your client first is the first rule we learn in training. I never knew you would be fit to do it. I even doubted Gary's choice."

I smiled. I knew exactly what he meant. I doubted myself too.

Ricky continued, "Since you've lack of experience and training, we're sending you to Ninja Bodyguard Training Camp in LA."

Wait, what?

"Does that mean I'm accepted and officially a bodyguard, sir?"

"Yes, Miss Charles. You're accepted to join our security team but you're not yet an official bodyguard," he answered, dragging the papers on his side of the desk to my side.

"I see. How long will it take to complete the Ninja Camp?"

"You'll be trained to become a professional bodyguard in 3 months' time."

"3 months?" I glanced at his hairless head for a minute.

"Yes, that's the maximum. We'll be sending all the other bodyguards as well so you won't be alone. Plus, this place is going under major repair. It's not safe to continue with our daily routine with sharp objects lying everywhere."

"When do I leave, sir?" I asked, admiring his silky dark skin tone. He didn't have any pimples or scar.

"You leave tomorrow at 4 in the afternoon."

"Tomorrow? That's such a short notice."

"There are two kinds of people in this world; one who give their gifts to others and others who keep their gifts to themselves." His fingers clasped, elbows on the table while his dusky eyes fixed on me.

All of a sudden my mind went blank. I forgot all about the questions I had for the camp. "H-how did you know... My d-dad used to say... It couldn't be possible." My father words, exact saying- how on earth did he know the exact same words? The same.

" My  father words, exact saying- how on earth did he know the exact same  words? The same