Chapter 70: About the Party

Many people strive to take the high road. Some of them managed to pass through it. Very few became successful and the rest ended up destroying themselves. Your choice of friends will take you to either. Cherish the person who gives you this mug.

Hannah Charles

I spent years with him and never once was I in an awkward position as such. His face crept closer; his toes touched my black and white trainers. My heart raced in a marathon just as his lips halted a stone away from mine. If he moved further, our lips would be locked in an infinite realm. Our friendship would be at stake if I didn't do anything. The situation tensed me; I couldn't even budge a muscle. His incredulous stare targeted my jaws. That was it. I squeezed my eyes, my fingers curled into a fist, afraid of the outcome. A light breeze teased my lips. I shuddered. I should push him away. It wasn't right. I waited for his lips to collapse on mine. On the contrary to what was supposed to happen, his nose collapsed on my nose, wiggling it about whilst he giggled.

What the freaking tarts?

"I missed your little nose."

Anger rose from within me. I shoved him away. "You're stinky! Go and brush your teeth." I wanted to say more than these meaningless lines but I didn't think it'll be wise.

"Oh come on, I don't smell that bad." He whined, still in the dreamy zone.

I ignored him and stuttered straight to my room. My cheeks flushed for nothing. I dropped my bags on the floor and kicked the door of my bedroom shut. A hot shower was all I needed to calm myself.

Four hours later, a strong bitter scent woke my sweet nap. I longed for that aroma when I stayed at the Ninja Camp. I swaggered out of my bedroom to the kitchen.

"Morning, sleepy head." Alex greeted with a refreshed smile pasted on his face while he poured some brewed decaffeinated coffee in his vintage mug that I got him for Christmas last year. He especially adored the quote carved in gold as these words meant a lot to him as it did to me.

Many people strive to take the high road. Some of them managed to pass through it. Very few became successful and the rest ended up destroying themselves. Your choice of friends will take you to either. Cherish the person who gives you this mug.

Each time I read this quote, I mentally thanked God for bestowing him as my best friend and made him be a huge part of my life. I had no idea where I'd be without him if he wasn't in it. I switched my gaze on him and flashed a warm grin. "Good morning, handsome." He appeared rather dashing in his stylish gray suit. "Off to work?"

"Yeah, I still have some work left and I need to run a check at the venue

"Yeah, I still have some work left and I need to run a check at the venue." He carried his mug to the mahogany desk situated in the between the living room and the kitchen.

I grabbed my minion mug and poured some coffee in it. "How's the party arrangement going?"

"So far, it's good. Nicole had been kind enough to help me settle everything accordingly." He took a sip after he said her name.

I snorted when I heard him mention Nicole's name. I thought he disliked his assistant. "Where's it going to been? At the mansion?"

"It's a surprise. You'll see it tonight." He placed a few documents in his briefcase. "You're going to love it."

"Wait, it's tonight?" I added two teaspoons of sugar in my mug as I skimmed over the counter.

"Don't tell me you forgot all about it." He glared at me in disbelieve.  "You're supposed to be my plus one."

The look of his disappointment saddened me. I knew he had work hard for this event. He mentioned it a couple of times when we chatted for weeks. He'd asked how the training was and in return, I'd asked him about his coming event. I totally forgot about the fact it was this Saturday, I thought it was next week.

"I'm sorry, Al. I lost track of time." I tried to make him feel better by whispering, "I remember everything you said."

"And yet, you forget the most important detail." He shook his head. "I knew this would happen. Waking up before dawn had messed your head."

I was glad he didn't make a big issue out of it. "So sorry, Al. Tell me once more, please," I pleaded, adding extra emphasis on my pouty lips that he almost kissed, "I promise I'll remember this time."

He huffed, shuffling about on the table. He grabbed an ivory envelope and passed it to me. "All the information you need is in there."

That wasn't what I was expecting. He secured the lock of his briefcase and stared at his silver watch. "I'm running late." He gulped the remaining coffee and marched towards the door.

"Uh, what am I supposed to wear?" I didn't own any gowns. Formal attire wasn't in the luxury of my hands.

He took out his wallet and tossed his credit card at me. I grabbed it with ease. "Buy an elegant black gown for the red carpet."

"What red carpet?"

Half of his body was already out of the door.

"Alex, wait."

He turned his head back and murmured, "The limo will arrive at 8 sharp. Make sure you're ready. I'll be waiting for you at my father's manor, and then we'll go together. See you later, Han and get plenty of rest before the event."

"But-"

"Buy anything you want. It's on me." He winked before he left.

Red carpet? In a panic state, I tear the envelope.

I thought it was supposed to be a retirement party

I thought it was supposed to be a retirement party. What did I miss?

---

Thanks for reading and I know I'm such a tease. Any idea what will happen at the Grand Ball?

Team Alex VS Team Robert?

I tried to make it longer but I'm too sleepy to continue. I guess the excitement have to wait

@sahifamalik6

salon97

Sorry guys!