Chapter 72: THE GRAND BALL (part 1)

Dedicated to all those who are still reading TCB and so sorry my darlings! My life is upside down right now and it affects my writing capability!

Chapter 72: THE GRAND BAll

"Love is in the eyes of the wrong beholder."

Hannah Charles

The limo driver arrived on the dot, not a minute earlier or later. The long mirror held my reflection as I fastened the side zip at my waist and the upper back zip. My top lip pressed onto the bottom to spread the flattering naked shade of Anastasia Beverly Hills liquid lipstick evenly. After I made sure everything was in order, I clutched my black leather purse and swayed down the stairs in my new mid-waist cutout leather bodice gown. When I spotted this gown at the boutique, I fell in love with it. It was unique and unusual, unlike the other gowns, puffy and fluffy. It was simple and yet, both elegant and stylish.

Breeze kissed my naked arms and part of my waist as I set my feet on the street.

"Evening, Miss Charles," greeted the chauffeur while he opened the door of the limo.

Giving a quick glance at the vehicle stretched before me, I answered, "Good evening, Mister-"

The chauffeur replied with a light grin, "Kennett."

I entered inside, running a hand to smooth the Viscose material I wore before I sat on the stylish couch. "Thank you, Mister Kennett." He bowed and closed the door of the limousine. He got in the driver seat and twirled the wheels to Alex's dad mansion.

This was the second time I had the pleasure of experiencing the luxury of a limousine. The first time I rode in a limo was back in Chicago when the members of the Whales Studio and I accompanied Robert to the Oprah Winfrey show. Thinking about that show, Robert crossed my mind. It'd been three and a half months since we had last spoken to each other. I fought the urge to eliminate the moments we had in the shower and in his bedroom but every time I shut my eyelids, vivid images appeared; his feathery kisses lingered on my lips, his long bony fingers between my tights, and his palms on my skin. It tortured the living hell out of me.

I observed the elegant interior design of the vehicle to hopefully distract myself. Opposite of me, there was another set of matching couch that could fit three to four adults. Above it, a fancy 32-inch retractable TV was mounted. It wasn't similar to the Whales Studio vehicle. This was posher. A chic dark cherry wood trim compartment occupied each side of the car. I grasped the champagne bottle and examined its content. Preventing myself from taking a sip, I placed it back and grabbed the console from the device holder. I touched a purple button. Instantly, the blue lights on the ceiling twinkled, hence the confine space became brighter. I pressed another button, a curtain next to the TV descended. Mister Kennett came into view.

"Is anything wrong, Miss Charles?" He asked, peering at the rearview mirror.

"No, everything is fine." He frowned, not satisfied by my answer so I added, "I was wondering how long this limo is."

"It's 17 inches."

"Ah, that's good." I pressed the button back to close the dark curtain. While I was putting the remote back in its place, my thumb accidentally brushed on a button, the TV switched on. I was about to turn it off but the words written in bold letters ceased my movement.

Rapist on the loose

The news broadcaster reported, "The prisoner escaped from Newville Jail was spotted a few days ago in New York. If anyone..."