Chapter 71: Shopping For The Grand Ball

"Everything happens for a reason."

Hannah Charles

Alex Industries Grand Ball

What did Grand Ball even mean? I only attended prom and that too in a pair of black slacks, white shirt, and a green vest. Not the kind of outfit one would normally go for but as a cocktail server, I had no choice. Well, actually I did. I volunteered to serve and the reason was I refused to say no to a guy, so I told him I was to serve drinks on that night.

This card gave me a hard time to decipher. I flipped to the back and skimmed through its content.

Official Programs

By Alex Industries

19.00 - 00.00

· Welcome ceremony

· Celebrities and VIPs march in

· Speeches by VIPs

· Buffet

· Runway -new brand presentation

· Music performance

· Dessert

· Ballroom dance

Venue: -

Dress code: Formal Black tie

Freaking tarts!

The event was going to be epic with celebrities, performances, and dance. Alex failed to notify me about this. I should slice him for keeping it from me. I'd definitely try to be invisible for the rest of the night. Alex would be busy organizing and entertaining his employees, colleagues, friends and his family while I would take this opportunity to sneak to a corner and keep to myself. Celebrities and VIPs march in; the word celebrities seemed perplexing. It could be the models who worked with the company. I wondered why there's no specific detail about the location. If I knew where the venue was, I'd have an idea what type of gown I should purchase. Perhaps, Alex purposely handed me this card without a proper venue stated. I guessed for some reason he wanted to keep it a surprise. He could be such a wicked person when he wanted to be.

Without wasting further time, I dashed to my room to get ready to do the shopping. I grabbed Alex's shiny golden credit card before I headed out.

Manhattan mall was a mile away. Saturday's traffic delayed my little journey for about 10 minutes. Once I reached the mall, I hit the brakes and settled the sedan at the first vacant park I could find. I hopped off and scuffed my way in. My feet were fatigued by all the browsing I did in all these department stores, stalls and boutiques. I had searched almost everywhere and yet, nothing eye-catching caught my sight. Exhausted, I headed towards the elevator to make my way to the first floor where my favorite café was situated. I let out a sigh when I spotted the Starbucks' logo. Shopping wasn't my comfort blanket where I could laze in the same niche for hours. It required energy to swag around, patience to examine and talented skill to bargain which I lacked. I usually gripped the first thing I see.

After I grabbed myself a cup of delicious Molten Chocolate Frappuccino topped with mocha-infused espresso whipped cream and drizzled with a decadent chocolate espresso sauce and a plate of Ancho Chipotle Chicken Panini, I sauntered to an isolated seat to enjoy my brunch in peace. I savored my sandwich by taking tiny bites.