one

I watched carefully across the hall as the little toddler greeted each stuffed animal on her bed, making conversation with them all. Her bubbly laughter was soon heard, like music to my ears and for once this year, I felt we would be okay. Our move to Manchester was interesting, I met a lot of new people and so did she. I got to do things here I couldn't before since moving from my mums small town house, and best of all, I finally got the chance to open up my very own pre school a mere ten minutes from the house. Needless to say, so far, life was perfect.

She was perfect too.

Her feet could be heard padding against the newly placed wooden floors and soon her small figure came into full view. Her long wavy hair flowed by her shoulders as she tiredly rubbed her eyes, I took this as a chance to scoop her up and walk us both to our sofa. Her eyes widened at me moving from my previous spot at the computer, where I was left to sit at all day going through last minute things for the first day of pre school tomorrow.

"Tired, baby?" I hummed into her hair, placing her on my lap where she instantly curled into my chest. She nodded without saying anything, and I smiled while brushing my fingers through her long dark hair. "Excited for tomorrow?"

She nodded again, but this time sat up to face me with her award winning grin, one which she received from her father. She got a lot of things from Harry, Her wavy hair which I was waiting for to go curly and her jade eyes, ones which sparkled whenever I spoke of him to her. Her pale skin, her slightly freckled cheeks and her plump lips came from me but then she was just a copy of him. My heart felt as if it tightened each time I thought about this, It's been over four years since I last saw him.

We both sat there, enjoying each others company before her step father, my boyfriend of two years, would arrive. To her, he was just an invasion of our time and was someone who made mummy upset. To me, he was a person's worst nightmare. It was days like these where I would take the time to relax and let my mind wonder elsewhere, somewhere, anywhere. As long as I kept my mind off of the fact that he would arrive home tonight, probably angry and probably accusing me of something I didn't do, again. But he was the only fatherly figure in my baby girls life. He helped me provide for her, he helped pay for my dream to come true and most importantly, My family adored him and were proud of me for finding someone like him after Harry, who they remained in contact with for some time but kept my secret.

Soft snores filled the room. Little purrs came from the floor from the kitten we had adopted a few days ago and I took the time to think about how good life would be if everything just stayed this way. If Jordan wouldn't walk through the door any minute now, If the silence would stay comforting me and if my little angel would forever want to stay so close to her mum, the idea of being too old to do things like this with me would never cross her mind. But, it was inevitable that Jordan would arrive any minute now, It was definite that this silence won't even last the night. The only thing that kept me going was knowing my little girl will always be with me, forever.

Once I tucked her into her newly made bed and placed a kiss to her forehead tenderly, the front door opened and closed. I grew nervous.

"Mae?" He called out. I was slightly relieved that his voice wasn't slurred, or raised. It was calm and collected. I walked out to the living room confidently now that he didn't seem angry, walking into him on the sofa with his feet up on the coffee table, tie now loose around his collar.

"Oh, there you are," He mumbled, looking me over once before going back to the television. "Where's my dinner? Or were you too tired, again?" He grumbled. I went back to yesterday, I had spent the day finishing up the house and didn't get the chance to make his dinner, or mine. It caused a big argument.

Not wanting another, I made sure I had his ready for tonight and without replying, I disappeared into the kitchen and came back with a hot plate of boiled potatoes and salmon. He always preferred the more fancy dinners, never would settle for anything like spaghetti bolognaise or mac and cheese. Everything had to be perfect for him.

"Just leave it on the coffee table."

I did just that then left for the bedroom. Tomorrow should be very interesting.