two

There it was.

That white bricked building facing me with glossy windows and newly installed swing sets standing beside it was what I've worked for for the past four years, all the paperwork was set aside, enrollment letters were carefully stored, licenses, leases, endless paperwork and college assignments were thrown away along with all course work and to show for all my hard work my dream was standing right before me while the other one held my hand.

"Is this it?" The little girl spoke, curiosity withheld in her eyes as they wandered anywhere eyes can travel.

"This is it, baby. This is it." I gently squeezed her hand and began walking towards the doors. If I was correct, another woman helping with the class next door would already be in here taking kids in and checking their enrollment. Of course, we were taking on newbies on the day but previously enrolled went first, newbies came to my room.

"Can we go on the swings later?" Her eyes never left them as we climbed up the pavement steps to the main door, which was already open. I could never get used to the banner hung outside, my own name on it making it all more real.

I only nodded at her and excitedly went straight to my room to begin enrolling soon, I honestly just wanted it all to start up and begin but being an adult now came with the boring stuff like paperwork and what not, I longed sometimes to be as little as my daughter who's biggest worry was when she would be able to take the training wheels off of her bike, or who would simply spend the day out on the green with her newly found friends playing countless games. The last time I was so carefree was before I met Harry when that stupid private school was my biggest worry. If only I had known what was coming.

The big brown door swung open. No one was there, perhaps everyone enrolled already which is handy I guess, but there was a lot of mothers stopping me in the streets and shops asking if I was still enrolling, which I replied with the details on today and how they can enroll their youngsters today so I was sure there would have been a hefty line by now, since I was officially the only preschool within a two-mile radius of this town.

"No ones here mummy," She frowned, releasing my hand as we both walked in. Everything was as for how I had arranged it a few weeks ago. Nice colourful walls which had yet to be filled with the kids' artwork. Big red beanbags hogging the corner on top of a play mat which fit together like jigsaw pieces, multiple circle tables with colourful stools sat in the middle and toys were kept neatly (not for long) in the other corner, right beside the Art & Craft station.

I placed my handbag down on my desk, barely covered bar the computer ready to start enrolling and the pencil holder. A large white and black board hung behind me, which I'm sure I'll never use. The moment I sat down in my own desk chair, facing my own classroom, I felt like I had fully completed everything I've ever wanted to do in life. The sight of my own daughter exploring the place made it even better, more real.

"Baby, don't play with that paint, you'll spill-" I sighed out loudly once the yellow paint began pouring down the wooden table and onto the blue floor mat.

"What did I tell you?" I bent down to her level and began wiping it up with the roll of tissue conveniently placed on the table, getting as much as I can with tissue. I'll have to properly clean it later.

"Sorry," She quietly mumbled. I wasn't one for getting angry or to yell, but it's almost impossible when your child is as clumsy and careless as mine, there comes days when I feel like I'm on the verge of yelling at her to the point I'm out of breath and have nothing left to say but there's always only one turnout; A child who is afraid of their mother and doesn't speak to her for days, something I've learnt the hard way with her.

"Excuse me?" A small voice came from behind me, causing me to turn quickly on my heel which allowed the paint drops on the side of my hand to splash onto the freshly painted wall. I squeezed my eyes shut momentarily for a moment then reopened them with a smile for the little boy nervously waiting by the door.

"Hi! are you lost, dear?" I kept my distance, not wanting to startle him. He was alone, meaning he had obviously ventured off from his parents.

"N-no. My daddy said to come in here, he had to go to work." He began walking in now which I took as my chance to walk over to him and guide him to my desk.

"Well, what's your name then buddy? I'm sure I have you in here somewhere," I smiled down at him and opened up the search bar on the list of enrollments, perhaps his dad was in a rush and saw no problem in dropping him off. I always thought parents wanted to witness these things, see their little ones coming in the first day and instantly meeting new friends.

"Noah" He smiled, beginning to find comfort in the place as he sat on one of the stools. I typed Noah in, about two came up. "Camillo or Rhodes, sweetie?" I hovered over Camillo, he looked like a Camillo.

"Uh, Styles?" He warily spoke. I inhaled sharply at the mention of the name, nodding and typing it in. No match. So, his father dropped him off for work, understandable. But he's not even enrolled yet? Now, that's a problem.

"Has your mum or dad ever brought you here before? You know, put your name on the list?" I asked calmly, watching my own child from the side try and clean up her mess. That's my girl, I thought.

"Uh, mommy is sleeping and daddy is working." He said, obviously confused about what I had just said.

"I'll take that as a no then," I bit my lip and switched off the computer, standing up. "Well, Noah I guess you'll be staying here for the day then. This is my daughter, and I'm Mae or Ms. Fletcher but you can call me Mae." I watched hopefully as she came over and gave him a hug instantly. Kids were so gentle and cute, why can't adults be like that?

+

+

It was nap time, and I was glad to look around me and see a full room of kids sleeping peacefully on their mats, some snoring loudly and some softly while others could be mistaken as dead, no joke.

Everything was going good, I managed to make most of them comfortable with me bar a few. It took me a while to get them all to sleep and oh trust me, I was in pure bliss once quiet snores filled the room.

My heart almost shot out of my ass when the phone began ringing loudly, making me jog across the room for it. I accepted and crept into the closet where the kids' bags and coats were, attempting to make this conversation as quiet as possible.

"Hello? Mae speaking." I whispered, picking up some coats that had fallen from the rack.

"Yeah, hi. So I was sitting here and it suddenly hit me, I was so busy this morning I completely forgot my fiance hadn't enrolled our son yet and I kind of just..dropped him off." The man spoke. He could only be Noah's father but his voice was so recognisable, I swear I've talked to this man before.

"Ah, I assume you're Noah's father. Am I right?" I laughed quietly, putting my hand on my hip as I tried to figure out how I knew him.

He coughed suddenly then spoke again, "Sorry, yeah. I am. I'll drop in after work at five and sign whatever I need to sign. I hope he's being good for you, but I have to go."

I was about to reply when I heard a long beep, letting me know he had ended the call. Okay, rude.