thirty six

I was doing squats.

Not because of what Alex said, well maybe, but I was starting to pick at myself and decided shaping my body would do no harm.

When Alex left, his words stuck with me. My body was fine- not nice, sexy, curvy like Emma. It was fine. He was right too, I stood in front of the mirror that night naked and traced my figure. It was a straight line.

I was thin yet rolls stuck out in places I didn't want them, my stomach and hips were painted in stretch marks from Annabel and my thighs jiggled a little more than they should have.

I began to envy Emma, she was gorgeous. Her big hips and small waist have her a Kim Kardashian's hourglass body to die for and not to sound like one of those girls but, I felt so shitty about myself.

So I was doing squats.

I was halfway through my last set in the living room when Annabel called me from her room. I sighed in relief when I was able to stop and wiped the sweat from my forehead as I walked to her.

"Mum I'm stuck on my homework." She whined. I smiled and sat beside her on the bed, I mean, she was seven. How hard could her homework be.

"Hmm," I picked up her pen and tapped it against my lip in thought. Do they really have seven year olds doing fractions?

I was ashamed to tell her I had no clue. I was shit at math, Harry would be better. I grabbed her iPad.

"What you doing?" She asked me. Her pink nightdress bunched up as she moved towards me. She snuggled into me as she climbed into my lap, Harry's FaceTime ID ringing through.

It wasn't long before his smiling face appeared on the screen. He waved and said hello while chewing something. God knows. I could see his fancy chandelier in the back and figured he was at home in the living room.

"Ana is stuck on homework and we need your help." I quickly told him. He nodded for us to go on. I let Harry and Ana talk for a little over thirty minutes while I showered but then it was bed time for her, so I interrupted.

"Hey, guys." I called in. "Ana it's time to sleep. School tomorrow." I reminded her. They both let out a sigh of annoyance, Harry's face coming into view as I sat down. He was in bed now but that wasn't who I was focused on. I noticed the woman's arm beside his and frowned.

Taking the iPad with me, I walked down the hallway and scowled. "What the hell? Ana doesn't need to see you and your mistress in bed!" I yelled.

He was shocked. Emma was too, the side of her face came into view and I fake gagged as she went to talk. I just hung up and set the iPad on the couch to go about getting everything ready for the morning but my phone rang.

I answered, knowing well that it was Harry to lecture me about being rude.

"Maelynn, what's wrong?" He asked me tiredly. I could practically hear the yawn he did and I sat on the arm of the couch.

"Ana doesn't need to see that." I told him.

He nodded. "Okay, fair. She didn't even see her but I'll be more careful next time." His voice mumbled. I sighed in annoyance. I wasn't able to be mad at him because he was too sweet.

"Goodnight then-" I began.

"Wait, I want to talk. We haven't spoken in awhile." He chuckled. I fell back into the couch and couldn't help the little smile on my lips that he wanted to talk alone, but then I remembered he was with his girlfriend and was annoyed again.

"Talk to your girlfriend," I mocked him.

"Real mature." He replied. "She's asleep, and I want to talk to you."

"Well I'm tired and I need to put our daughter to bed so her daddy can fuck his young girlfriend." I snapped. Woah, go me.

"Excuse me?" He bellowed. Maybe I regret what I said. Maybe.

"You heard me." Or maybe not.

"What do you want me to do? Live with you? You haven't even told her she has a dad." He scoffed.

"You know you're her dad. You haven't seen her since she went camping two weeks ago, do you not miss her?" I asked quietly.

"Mummy?" A little voice sounded behind me.

I gasped a little and turned to see Annabel standing behind the couch, clearly upset. I hadn't even the chance to speak when she came forward.

"Harry is my dad?" She quietly asked.

"Mae? Hello- Mae??" Harry yelled.

I dropped the phone and ushered for her to come over to me. She was hesitant but soon ended up in my lap. How the fuck was I going to handle this situation?

I brushed my fingers through her soft hair and sighed. My heart felt so heavy right now, but she deserved to know. I just wasn't ready for her to love another parent like me; I was selfish.

"Yes, sweetheart." I admitted. She didn't move in my lap, I just brushed through her hair silently while we both stared out the large window.

"Why doesn't he live with us then?" She asked me. Her body turned to face me and I wrapped my arms around her back, looking into her dazzling eyes. Harry was a good baby maker, I'll give him that.

"Well," I started. "It's hard to explain." I sighed out.

"Harry and me were friends a long, long time ago. Even when Mummy was in school. Then Harry had to go, and I had you." I smiled.

She nodded slowly. "Why'd he go?"

Hmm.

"He had to have Noah. With Noah's Mummy." I half smiled, figuring that was the best way to explain it. Maybe I'd tell her the details when she's older.

"And now he's back." She smiled. I nodded quickly, "Yes. He came back for you and now you have him and Noah." I cried. I couldn't help the tears and Ana stared at me like I was batshit crazy- which I was sometimes, but she was used to me.

"Why are you crying?" She laughed. I laughed through my tears too and snuggled into her warm body. "I'm just happy." I explained.

"Me too." She whispered.