Fifty five

I don't think anyone in this life can appreciate how fragile it is, until death and tragedy come knocking at your door.

As I looked through a glass window at his lifeless body lying carefully on a hospital bed I sobbed uncontrollably. "Harry," I called out.

He squeezed my hand and cried out too as the echoing beep of his heart monitor slowed down one beat at a time.

"He's going to make it, everything is going to be okay." he whispered to me over and over.

I watched as the nurses and doctors around Noah's bed worked away on his wounds until I could bare to watch anymore.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to wait in a waiting room, you cannot be here." A woman notified us. Neither of us listened as we held each other carefully and watched every move the doctors made.

"That's my baby boy, I'm not going anywhere." I told her. Harry told her to fuck off and I bit down on my lip as we were eventually pulled away from the door. Stiff and frightened, we both stood in a cold waiting room among other visitors. Shocked glares were thrown at us as we hurled abuse at staff who refused to let us see Noah but they soon began to turn into pitiful stares before they went back to their newspapers and phones.

I blinked rapidly while trying to speak to Harry, trying to spit words out in sentences that made sense but nothing came out properly. I simply couldn't believe any of this was happening and my mind began to play tricks on me. For a few moments I was convinced I was asleep; dreaming a nightmare, as usual.

Only Harry's gentle sobs from beside me in his chair could bring me back to reality. Despite my emotional connection with Noah over these years, I had to be here for Harry right now. His arms were destroyed in his sons blood and so were mine. We hadn't changed from the bloodied clothes we currently had on either and I began to grip onto my shirt once I realized the blood may be all we have left of Noah right now.

Everyone was simply just in so much shock. Aria has even showed up in tears without her absolute scum of a boyfriend and Harry's mother comforted her as my own took Ana. As much as I loathed Aria, this was her child. Her own flesh and blood, and nothing can take that away from her.

I was in my own world and hadn't noticed Harry repeatedly banging his head against the wall until a nurse tried to soothe him. "We are doing everything we can, please remain hopeful for Noah." She pleaded with him. I took Harry from her arms and into my own as I shushed his cries and squeezed him tight. His head fell into my shoulder and I stared at the wall behind him blankly. I can't believe this is happening. I really can't.

I was even more shocked when Aria rushed over and engulfed Harry into her own arms this time and I let her. He squeezed her tightly as she screamed down the waiting room and eventually we were all moved to a more private space, where Anne took my hand and calmly observed the surroundings. "He's going to make it." She softly smiled.

I inhaled deeply and watched her carefully. A look of delusion and humor washed over her and I quickly realized she was still very shocked and in disbelief; denial.

"Excuse me," A loud voice echoed. The four of us looked to the door, where a tall doctor stood. His mask was pulled down below his chin and he frowned sadly. Harry quickly took my hand in his, this didn't look like good news.

"If you would like to take a seat," the surgeon motioned for the stools and we nodded, preparing for the worst. Oh my god, this was really happening.

"Noah, uhm, your son Noah has suffered extreme trauma. Three gunshot wounds to the chest area, one reaching his airway and another piercing right between his arteries. It's a miracle he is still alive." He calmly stated.

The relief on everyone's face at the news he was alive was a sight to see and I felt so blessed. I gave Harry's hand an encouraging squeeze before the doctor continued.

"Right now we are using a machine to keep his airways open and he is about to undergo a major surgery around his heart. However, we would like to make you aware of the options before we do so." He looked down to his clipboard and offered a sincere smile while showing us some charts.

"His blood loss is fatal for a child his age, performing this surgery will lessen his survival by seventy percent. His airways are punctured, which does mean he will remain living on a machine for the remainder of his life most likely. He will also suffer extreme nerve damage from his waist down, and chronic pain in the lungs." He finished. The atmosphere quickly changed.

"Mr. Styles, Mrs. Styles," he started. I knew he meant Aria despite their current marital status but right now, none of that mattered.

"Your son has a 20% survival rate after this surgery and there after, will suffer a long life of chronic pain and possible paralysis along with a deprived childhood due to machinery and assisted living. We need to give you the option whether or not you would like to go ahead with this, or if you would like to say your final goodbyes and grant him eternal peace." He finished.

In my head I didn't agree with this doctors choice of words. It sounded so morbid but then I guess this was the reality. Noah was gone.

I tried to keep my emotions inside for now but I couldn't help it, nobody could. Each one of us burst out into unmerciful cries upon hearing the news and the doctor quickly announced he would be back in ten. I pulled Harry into me and let him let it all out.

"I can't do this," He croaked out.

I wanted to take all of his pain away and suffer for him. He was so broken, my heart broke twice over for him too. All I could think about right now was Noah's little body lying on a bed alone right now and I knew I needed to make them decide.

I pulled Aria over too as Anne cling onto Harry's arm. "You two need to decide right now," I sobbed. I nodded to Harry, almost like a 'you got this.'

"This is so fucking hard for everyone and I'm so sorry this is happening. But Noah needs his parents right now and I think you both know what the right thing to do is." I finished. I wiped at my tears and contained my cries while trying to calm Harry down to get onto a sensible mindset.

Just as quick, a team of surgeons headed back into us and Harry nodded to Aria, who only sobbed even harder as he lead her out of the room.