forty nine

It wasn't until the following Friday night that we were all together again. Four of us wrapped up under a duvet on Harry's couch while the flickering light of the tv lit up the room. It feels so natural and for the first time, I allowed myself to feel comfortable instead of questioning why we're doing this. I was finally happy.

I was waiting for El to come over so we could head out, Harry was on babysitting duties. A rough night wasn't planned but I had a good feeling I wouldn't make it home tonight.

Once El arrived and I slipped into my outfit, Harry was tucking the kids into bed to say goodbye to me. El, sporting what most likely was Gucci head to toe, and Harry in his Versace robe had me feeling very out of place as I stood in between the two in a discounted h&m dress.

"Be safe, please," Harry told us both. We rolled our eyes and I checked I had everything in my purse as we made way for the door.

"I'll get her home safe and sound," El teased him. She winked at me and I smiled, knowing Harry was very paranoid right now.

"Hey," his warm fingers wrapped around my wrist carefully to pull me back from leaving so quickly and I laughed, observing how worried he actually did look.

"Don't get stupid drunk, just enjoy yourself yeah?" He pleaded.

"Harry," I laughed. "I'm not gonna get twisted and end up dead." I told him, yet again. He nodded and bit down on his bottom lip briefly before ushering us out. "Have fun, ring me if I'm needed." He told us.  "Maybe.." I teased him, giving him a quick kiss to the lips. He frowned and opened the door for us.

Our heels clicked against the concrete driveway as we made way to El's car and I mockingly blew Harry a kiss as I waved him off. He was fun to wind up.

_________________

What I expected to be thumping music and the aroma of sweat and liquor  turned out to be more of a classy scene. Rose tinted lights coated the bar in pink and there were more staff than there were people.

El walked us over to a table near the bar. Good choice friend, good choice. I was so looking forward to going home not knowing my name.

"Well have two cosmopolitans and two vodka sprites, please." El told the bar man. She set her handbag beside her feet as she sat and I did the same, except I didn't look as expensive as she did.

Her hair had a natural flow to it and under the pink hue of the room, she looked angelic. I didn't dare guess what I looked like.

"So Harry really likes you, huh." She asked, sipping on her cosmopolitan as soon as it arrived. A smile played on my lips as she mentioned him and I shrugged.

"It's weird, I know." I admitted. "But it feels nice."

"Mhm," she hunmed, pursing her lips. "Just don't forget what you went through because of him."

I knew that was coming. Ever since Harry stepped back into my life, people took on a duty to remind me that he's hurt me in the past. As if I didn't know, ya know.

"El, I'm happy, leave it." I warned her. She inhaled and waved her hand to dismiss the topic.

Before we both knew it, we were several drinks in already as we left to go to a more upbeat spot. It was getting too quiet and with drinks, we were getting louder.

We stumbled upon a little pub and as someone exited and opened the doors, the sound of destinys child enchanted us to run in.

"Oh my god it's perf," El exclaimed as she looked around. I stifled a laugh and threw my hands up in the air to the tune of 'Say my name' as did she.

We looked like nutters on the dance floor. El found the barrier around the DJ booth and held onto it while shaking her ass at me. Not drunk enough to join in, I smiled awkwardly at the girls she accidentally was bumping into and pulled her to the bar.

"If you're gonna get that drunk, let me get there too." I scolded her. She cheered me on as we ordered shots just as quick as we drank them.

Our night was amazing so far, and it remained amazing, up until she walked in. Then shit hit the fan.