thirty five

It was the first day back to school after Christmas break and I was so excited to have a routine back again. The last week was spent with Harry, Noah and Annabel tearing the hotel room apart, movie days, car adventures and Harry going on dates as I watched Noah.

And yes, I had convinced Alex to go along with being my boyfriend. It took a lot of convincing but when I told him I'd tell people I cheated on the bet and he really won, he was ecstatic. So now, Harry and I had a double lunch date at noon with our new lovers.

I was focused on getting Ana to school first. I brushed through her curly hair gently and began to braid it, to tame the frizz after her shower. She played with her Barbie in her hand as I told her about our moving plans for next week. I managed to secure a two bed apartment for us both. Rent was cheap enough and Harry said he wanted to pay me child support every week which - I gladly accepted. Although he basically gives me cash for nothing anyways. That was gonna have to stop.

I fixed Annabel's uniform quickly and squealed randomly, "You're so cute!" I gushed, pulled her into me.

"Mum.." she whined. She pushed me back and fixed her hair as I rolled my eyes. "I don't want to be late. Jennifer and I want to sit beside each other on the bus." She told me. I nodded and grabbed our coats, making sure I had packed her lunch and whatever else she needed.

Her pink school bag was slung over her shoulders and we both walked down to the lobby, Ana saying good morning to the staff she had grown to love. I smiled at them all, saying hello to Joan the receptionist. I never talk to her but she sees me at my worst and never judges so, I like her.

Ana and I walked a few minutes hand in hand. It was freezing out and I tried to convince her to let me put her ear muffs on her but she wasn't having it. Eventually we reached her bus stop, where a few other kids were waiting and I knelt down in front of her while fixing her coat.

"I love you, have a good day. Eat your lunch and drink your water." I reminded her with a kiss on the forehead, she then rubbed off my spit in disgust. I half smiled and rubbed my thumb over her cheek.

"Love you Mum, see you later!" She cheered, running off to her friends. I stood back and waited for the bus to come. She waved me off as it left and I waved back, watching the bus disappear eventually and made my way back. I had three hours to get ready for a fake date.

When I got back to the room, I showered and picked out a casual jean outfit with a white sweater, a pink handbag over my arm. I looked extremely girls and different as I put my pearl earrings in and fixed my lipgloss but I had no time to overthink before there was a knock on the door.

Alex stood behind it with his hands shoved in his pockets. I looked him up and down and sighed. "You can't wear that!" I yelled.

He was sporting grey tracksuit bottoms and a white T-shirt that clung to his perfectly fit body- stop it, Mae. He's gross.

He threw his hands up in the air. "What am I supposed to wear? We're going for lunch- not meeting the queen."

I looked around the hallway then yanked him inside. "Wait here, I'll get you something."

I walked to my room and to the drawers where Harry kept spare clothes when he spent the night. When I think about it, it's probably weird that my ex-baby daddy is so close to me but it was Harry. He wasn't weird.

I pulled out black skinny jeans and one of Harry's button down shirts for work, it was just white.

Marching out to Alex, he was standing by the couch on his phone and I shoved the clothes in his hands. He took them and without protest, went to change.