thirty nine

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Mummy! Happy birthday to youuuuu!"

I was never a morning person, but when you're woken up to the sound of your kid singing happy birthday while shakily holding a tray of breakfast foods, it's not so bad.

Harry followed in behind her with a kitchen towel over his shoulder and I sat up in the bed. "This is lovely, thanks guys." I smiled. I pulled Ana in for a hug and a kiss but she insisted on going to get something and soon returned with a small box and a bag.

"This is from me." She smiled proudly. I noticed the Saint Laurent orange bag beside her and rose a brow at Harry. He shrugged, leaning against the door frame. "She just really loves you, I guess."

I shook my head and began to open the small box, almost crying at the sight. It was a little chain with a photo of Ana and I in it and it was beautiful. "Annabel this is amazing," I gushed. I took it out to put it on, a proud smile on her lips as she looked at me wearing it.

I then opened her hand made card and laughed as I read the message inside, Harry soon coming to sit on the edge of the bed. He ended up staying over last night and spending a lot of time with Ana while I got some things done. Ana gushed about how she always wanted to have a movie night with us both together and so we did - we've done it before, but often with Noah. And she has recently became quite obsessed with the idea of marriage so we let her have a few hours of fairytale magic before we had to go back to reality.

Inside the LV bag was an expensive looking purse that I continued to give out about to Harry but he wasn't taking responsibility. He spent too much money on us sometimes.

I thanked them both and soon enough we were getting ready to go drop Ana off at my parents. Mae was getting drunk tonight.

"Harry you always fucking do this, you missed the turn." I yelled. He rose his hands in defense and snickered while indicating to go left and back to the turn. Every time we were going home he missed it and at this point I think he just did it to wind me up.

"You get mad easily." He noted. I watched his ring clad fingers tighten around the wheel, his large hands wrapping around it with ease as he drove us. Ana was sleeping in the back with Noah, who was tagging along for the sleepover.

Upon arriving, we were greeted by my dad in the front yard holding Reece's phone in the air as Reece tried to grab it and I gave Harry a look. "Then two are like Tom and Jerry I swear," I muttered.

"Except they're humans," he smiled proudly. I nodded, right Har, no shit.

I got out and cradled Ana's sleeping body to me until Harry scooped her from my arms and into my own. "I can carry her, dumbass." I told him.

"I know, but I wanted to." He smirked. I rolled my eyes and helped Noah out and we walked up the driveway.

"Happy Birthday, darling!" Dad hugged me and I hugged him back, happy to be home. It was so nice coming back.

"Hi, dad." I smiled, both of us walking into the house together. Noah ran off to his own grandparents house with Harry once we were all settled in.

"Mm, mums making lasagne for you. My fave." Reece told me. He took his phone from dad when he wasn't looking and walked off with it. Kids these days.

Shaking my head, I set my handbag down on the kitchen counter and allowed the aromas of mums cooking fill my nose. Can't beat that smell.

"You look a wreck!" My mum gasped. She rushed over and picked at my hair, then my clothes. "No child of mine will dress so ugly."

I scoffed. I was wearing black jeans and a red hoodie, I didn't see a problem here. The hoodie actually belonged to Harry. Go figure.

"What the hell am I supposed to wear?" I laughed. I took no offense to her comments, she was always like this. She meant no harm.

She only tutted and grabbed my arm to pull me upstairs with her. I was lead into my old bedroom, which was now her walk in closet and she dashed over to her clothes like a maniac.

"You're glowing! You need a beautiful dress, or something's that's not..." she looked over me again. "That." Her face held disgust before she rummaged through her wardrobe again.

"What are you wearing tonight?" She asked me. I shrugged, "maybe the purple dress."

She grimaced. "Take this," I was handed a black satin dress and rose my brows. "Why do you even own this mum?"

She motioned to her body, and her beautiful curves that I wasn't genetically blessed with and she smiled. "I like to keep your father interested, hija."

I nodded slowly, very much disgusted and I was sent to try the dress on. After squeezing in, and very much lacking in the big hip department that was needed to fill the dress out, I walked out to show her.

She tilted her head to the side and pursed her lips. "Maybe.."

"No," I corrected her. I began to take it off and she helped, but ran off to get more dresses. I was very much against the idea of her dressing me but maybe she could work her magic and have me looking good.

Eventually, she handed me a red bandeau dress. It was strapless which I was quite skeptical about but I began to pull it on.

She clapped her hands excitedly, "Yes! Yes! This one." I turned to face the mirror and was surprised that it was me that I saw.

It was extremely tight but it pulled my waist right in, making my hips curve out and giving off an hourglass figure - I just had no ass or boobs to show with it. I liked it though.

"Looks good to me," I told her, checking myself out.

"Leave your hair down with it, and a smoky eye - you'll get a husband in no time." She laughed, turning me around to look at my side profile in the dress.

I brushed her off and started back at the mirror, suddenly feeling very anxious about tonight.