three

It was almost pick up time. Yet it felt like the day had been going on for weeks. We visited the park and one of the kids had an accident, which obviously shook me. I couldn't even concentrate on anything when we got back, and ended up letting the children paint and draw cards for their parents.

I was terrified I was going to be shut down for child negligence or something over the accident, even thought it was just a cut on the leg.

Just as I was about to fall into another long train of thoughts, the alarm went and I jumped slightly. The kids were talking amongst themselves with their bags and coats on. They were ready for home time, and I was too.

I stood at the door, towering over them all and smiled brightly. "Okay! How was everyone's first day?" I asked. Despite what went on, I wanted my daycare to be a success, and most importantly, the kids to have had fun.

The kids cheered, some not saying anything, some saying too much. "Good! Especially when I messed up all the paint on the floor." Noah giggled. The tots laughed along with him and I pursed my lips. "You know that was wrong though, don't you?" I asked. He nodded and began sulking.

It wasn't long until parents began to flood in, happy faces and enthusiasm filling the room as it got emptier. There were three kids left.

I looked to my own, and counted her out. All that was left now was Amy and Noah. I rolled my eyes. Of course he would be late too, after the rude encounter with his father I wasn't surprised. Maybe I'll meet him, or maybe he'll send his wife.

I watched the kids play a bit while waiting, until Amy's father rushed in. "I am so sorry, miss. I got stuck in traffic." He offered a sympathetic smile. I smiled widely and took Amy's bag from the table, handing it to her dad. "No worries at all. She's a great kid, I didn't mind." I handed him the bag and waved the two off, turning on my heel to accept my doom.

Just Noah. I looked over to the two, stomach turning as I realised I was yet to tell his parent about his cut on the knee. I was scared of how they would react, some parents are very peculiar about those things.

"Noah, would you like to share my sandwich?" Annabel opened up her packed lunch and pulled her sandwich out. He nodded eagerly and took one half. I smiled at the exchange.

"You guys are so good sharing, aren't yous?" I perked up and watched them as they sat on the tiny furniture. They both nodded and I joined them, watching how they basically acted the same. It was so interesting.

"My daddy says sharing is caring!" He yelled, breaking some bread off and pointing it at me.

"He's right. It's always nice to share." I smiled gratefully and took the food. I hadn't eaten since breakfast. The three of us sat there, chatting away about their day and their plans for tomorrow.

"Miss Mae?" Noah's soft voice called from the corner of the room, where he was with Annabel playing. I was at my desk, finishing some paper work while waiting for a parent to collect Noah.

"Yes darling?" I asked. I pushed myself away from my desk and stood up, walking towards them.

"Is my daddy coming soon?" He asked. He seemed exhausted, and it was nearing five in the evening. We were all tired and hungry, and I almost considered calling the father back and dropping Noah off. Jordan will kill me if his dinner isn't made when I get home.

I sighed and sat down on one of the bean bags, Annabel immediately taking a seat on my knee and curling into my chest tiredly. "I don't know, Noah. I hope so." I smiled. I offered the seat beside me, and he took it. Annabel was exhausted, I knew by the way she was curled up on me. Her breathing was beginning to get shallow too, and I cursed at myself for letting her fall asleep on me. I couldn't move.

Soon enough Noah's head fell onto my lap too, and I suddenly had two sleepy kids on me.

I smiled down at them both. They were so adorable, whoever the mother was of Noah, she surely was a beauty.

Just as I checked the time, the door handle twisted slowly, and a tall figure crept in quietly. She looked startled to find us three huddled together in the corner, and I swear I almost saw a faint smile.

I felt so awkward. I couldn't move to make the situation any less awkward either, instead just sat and watched as Noah's mother very carefully walked over to us. Voice in a hushed whisper.

"Sorry, I'm so late. My husband was supposed to collect him." She played with the hem of her dress and then began to kneel down to Noah.

She was absolutely gorgeous and looked about as expensive as my house. Her long blonde locks were like liquid gold falling down her shoulders and she had the biggest brown eyes I had ever seen. She was a beauty.

I was at a loss for words as she examined his cut, then shrugged it off, calling him a 'big brave boy.'

"I see someone else is late too?" She asked. I furrowed my brows. No one else was in the room but me and Annabel- oh.

I put my arms under her small body and stood to my feet, with the help of Noah's mother balancing me with her spare hand. I smiled at her graciously. She had Noah sitting on her hip.

"No, uh, she's mine." I smiled. A smile graced her lips too.

"She is absolutely adorable wow, what's her name?" She grinned. Whenever anybody commented on Annabel I felt overwhelmingly proud; I did that.

"Annabel." I smiled back, "and I'm Maelynn by the way, but please call me Mae." I shook her hand and she shifted Noah on her hip before beginning to walk out.

"I'm Aria, lovely to meet you. My husband should be in tomorrow to fix up the paperwork and money if that's okay? I'm so sorry about dropping him off out of nowhere...Harry can be very forgetful." She laughed.

Suddenly my heart sped up.

I watched her lips form the name I never thought I'd hear again, but here she was.

"Harry Styles?" I asked her, becoming a bit breathless actually. She nodded, eyebrows raised.

"You know him?" She asked. Then she scoffed. "Don't answer that, of course, you do. He owns half of this town."

Her cackle was like a sharp pain in my ear, I only forced myself to falsely laugh with her and agree.

"Well listen, Mae. Thanks so much, I'll see you tomorrow." She shot me one more grin and she was off, the click of her heels disappearing down the corridor.