FORTY

((((side note: can we just appreciate Harry as a boxer pls? ty)))

________________________________

It was safe to say I was successfully as drunk as I had planned to be, maybe even a bit more so. I was staring at myself in the bathroom mirror just thinking about how drunk I was.

I kept thinking to myself; Mae, you're drunk, but then I found it very funny and would laugh at myself in the mirror. It was a vicious cycle.

"Girl you are some type of crazy," a woman scoffed. I caught the reflection of another girl in the mirror. She was standing beside me re-applying some lipstick but she was gone before I could even defend myself.

I stumbled out also, fighting off the urge to dance as I made my way to the bar. I did come here with friends, but if you were to ask me where they were now? No idea. Until Harry's warm inviting smile greeted me at the bar as he ordered drinks and I sighed in relief.

"Oh thank god I found someone." I pat his cheek and hoisted myself onto a bar stool.

"A double vodka lemonade please!" I ordered. I could feel Harry's intense stare on me as I searched for my cash.

"You okay there?" He laughed. I looked up to him but his gaze was on my hands, which were looking for my purse in my bag, but my purse was on the bar.

"Oh," I snorted. "Duh.."

He watched me pay for my drink and reach for a straw until eventually his harsh gaze bothered me.  "Why do you keep staring at me?" I questioned.

He shrugged. The black dress shirt he was wearing tightened around his biceps that I momentarily drooled over when he first showed up and I found myself staring again as I remembered. Damn.

"I'm bored." He told me. I falsely gasped and put a hand to my chest, "On my birthday?"

He smirked and I watched his eyebrows raise in amusement as I dramatically spewed out my disapproval.  I downed my drink and shook my head as I held his hand, leading him to the dance floor.

Hesitant but willingly, Harry joined me on the dance floor where we both were swallowed up in the crowd. I don't think we could even see each other properly from all the people around us but he kept ahold of my wrist until he was able to push through them again and I groaned. He was just standing still on the dance floor as I danced my little ass off.

"Harry your white ass needs to move, you're embarrassing me." I told him, trying to move his hips with my hand.

"I've got this," he shouted to me over the music before I knew it, he bent over with his hands on his knees and began to twerk. I wasn't sure if I loved it or if I hated it but soon enough I put a hand on his back and started to fake grind him and smack his ass.

He wasn't too happy. I thought it was hilarious.

"Stop," he ordered. I could only emit small laughs as he tried to do his thing, but soon was attracting disgusted stares.

"Harry," I called. He wasn't listening, so I just danced with him as we tried to ignore the stares and comments. I wasn't going to see these people tomorrow.

We danced for awhile after this, until Louis and Niall interrupted us. Louis was dressed in a smart red button up and Niall wore a dark blue one, it had been so long since I've seen them properly.

"I'm here to save you both from the embarrassment," Louis told us. He grabbed my hand and lead me after him as Niall did so with Harry. Both confused, we shut up and followed them until we found a table and Louis ordered more drinks.

"Damn Harry I didn't know you took it from behind," Niall snickered, sipping on his pint.

Harry just smiled, as if he was in his own little bubble of intoxication. The three of them ventured off to the smoking area and I tagged along in fear of being alone again.

Thick smoke coated the area in a grey tone and the music wasn't as loud out here. Instead all you could hear was the chit chat between everyone.

I took a seat on the leather seat as the boys stood in a little group with a smoke, I just observed the place until I felt the seat beside me become occupied and I turned my head.

A guy, looking no older than twenty covered head to toe in tattoos looked down at me and smiled. He was cute I guess, but I couldn't push aside the creepy vibe he gave as he smiled at me. I smiled back, to be kind you know, but he must have taken it as a hint to converse and I mentally groaned at the boring 'what's your name? Where are you from?' conversation about to unfold.

"Hi, I'm Jonah!" He smiled, extending his hand. I shook it and offered a smile. "Mae."

He nodded and scooted closer, our hips now touching. I looked at the boys, cursing that none of them were facing me.

"Where you from?" He asked, his eyes looking very wide. He was probably on something.

"Here, actually. What about you?" I sipped my drink absent mindedly and looked straight ahead until I could get one of the guys' attention. If I had the courage I'd get up and walk away but I was frozen in my seat and was waiting- stupidly waiting- for someone to help me out here.

"Aw cool, me too actually. It's my mates birthday- Zayn," He smiled, his hand has now managed to lie comfortably on my thigh and I would be concerned and tell him to sod off but the mention of Zayn's name has all of my attention.

"Zayn Malik?" I asked carefully.

His eyes widened even more and he broke out into a wide grin, "you know him?!"

I just nodded slightly and shifted away, "Yeah I guess. He was my teacher." I mumbled.

The fact that I hadn't moved his hand away yet must have been a silent notion of consent for him because it expertly moved behind my back and got lower until I caught Harry's eye and mouthed a 'help me,' as I froze in my seat.

Harry walked over in no time and towered the both of us, a firm look of annoyance on his face as his intense stare locked on the mystery man.

"Can I help you?" Jonah spat, looking Harry up and down. I scoffed away and got my bag in my hand as I stood, "This is my boyfriend, Harry." I smiled.

Harry tensed and Jonah stuttered, wow, my impact.

"Right..." Jonah trailed off. He awkwardly watched Harry and stumbled to his feet. "Alright, man, my fault. Didn't know she was taken." He laughed it off but Harry simply stared back at him. His arm went around my waist and it felt so much more natural than Jonah's hand felt. It was crazy to me that the body can feel the same touch from two different people, but they can feel so different.

"Get out of here," Harry told him, waving him off as Jonah walked away. Once he was out of sight, my chest tightened and I grabbed Harry's hand to sit him down. "Zayn is here." I yelled.

It took Harry a moment, but eventually he frowned and realized who I meant, which all quickly turned into anger. "Where is he?" He asked me, beginning to stand up.

"I don't know- sit your ass down." I ordered, pulling him back. "Can we leave? We can go somewhere else, I just don't want to be here." I confessed. He nodded and began to finish his drink as he called the boys over.

"We're going to Liam's, this place is shit." He told them. They simply agreed and went back to chatting as I stared at Harry curiously.

"As in Liam Payne?" I asked him. He nodded and flicked his smoke away before taking my hand. I was surprised, but figured it was simply because of Zayn being here. I was so grateful for Harry. I followed behind him and Louis and Niall followed me.

"What's in Liam's?" I asked them. They each shared a look, a look I didn't like and kept walking to the taxi rank. But did it stop me from following? Fuck no.