Carter

Carter spinned like a child in the rolling chair of his new office, he had been upgraded to Officer only a day ago and was already comfortable with his new stance.

Vera rushed into the room saying, "Officer Parker have you...," she stopped finally noticing that Carter was in the former Officer's seat. "Where is Officer Parker?"

"He retired," Carter said, remembering old man Parker telling him stories of when he first became Officer, that man was like a father to him... Carter focused back to what he was saying, "I am the new Officer now and if there is anything you need to discuss you can discuss it with me." He folded his hands together on his desk, just like Parker. Vera was looking him straight in the eyes not saying a word, Carter shifted uncomfortably. Since the mission they had together Vera was all he could think about, he could feel his face grow red. He began to think he had a crush on the girl...

"Have you found my sister's location?" She said finally knocking Carter off his train of thought. Carter tensed, he didn't want to hurt this girl emotional but they cut the search thinking it was pointless. He could tell she saw the glint of guilt in his eyes, he sapphire eyes were burning a hole through his forehead.

"They canceled the mission," After the last word left his mouth Vera was a mix of anger, confusion, worry, and hopelessness. She slammed a fist on Carter's desk, a cup full of colored pencils spilled to the floor.

"Ok, Vera," Carter said trying to calm her down. "This wasn't my decision, if I could make a choice I would chose to save your sister from those horrible cyborgs."

Vera seemed to be thinking, but said, "If you could help me with this problem right now , would you?"

The answer was obvious, "Why wouldn't I?"

"That's what I thought," A smirk formed on her face.