Carter

Carter didn't know he could love someone as much as he loved Vera. Even though they only knew each other for a few weeks it felt like a lifetime for Carter. Since the hugging they were inseparable. They stayed at the back and chatted away, sometimes holding hands. Talking to Vera made Carter feel alive and new like the old him never existed and he was all new. It was like there was something in the air and everyone was inhaling it. Carter noticed Polan and Allie seemed to want to be near each other as much as possible, that Allie's family seemed closer, that Roger stared at Gloria when she wasn't staring at him, that Vixen and Greyland seemed as inseparable as Carter and Vera. Alphie, the dragon, seemed to have a bond with everyone in the group. While they walked he would go over to them and pull on their pants or scratch their leg to let them know he wanted to have attention. They were heading back to the cyborg base as Carter was told. Carter knew he could use this information but he instantly shook the thought out of his mind he was against the Government now not with the Government. The group made their way through a grassy weed filled field, this winter was very mild. They all climbed one at a time into a tube and came out into a underground city. It was amazing and unbelievable.

"So this is where you went?" Allie's father asked Allie.

"Not that long," She shrugged.

"We should go to the General," Roger said.

They walked into a place that Roger called his lab, there was a serious looking woman with slightly wrinkled skin and grape green eyes sitting in a desk chair looking at a hologram messenger. Vera's expression changed dramatically when she saw the woman, she stared at the hologram messenger like it was about to explode. Vixen put her hand on Vera's shoulder. Carter stood closer to Vera.

"What's wrong sis?" Vixen asked.

"Mom," Vera said, Vixen's expression turned into one like Vera's making it even harder to tell the difference. Carter grabbed Vera's hand, she looked at him. He could sense the distress in her eyes. Carter didn't even notice Vixen looking at them with wondering eyes.

"So you are back," The woman said, not looking up.

"Yes, General," Polan said.

"The weapon?" The General asked, finally looking up.

Allie held out Alphie who sneezed, cinders coming out of his nose. The General smiled, Carter hoped she would never do it again.

"Good job. Battle plans will be set up immediately," Her attention turned to Carter, Vera, and Allie's family thankfully her smile disappeared. "Who are they?"

"This is my family," Allie pointed to her parents and brother. "This is Vixen's sister Vera and this is Carter."

"Your last name wouldn't be Slade would it?" The General asked Carter.

"That is my last name," Carter answered.

"Can he be trusted?" The General asked Polan.

"Yes," Polan said, surprising Carter.

"Alright then," The General said. "Vera stays with her sister, Allie and her family will be moved into a bigger apartment for all of them, and Carter will get his own space."

Everyone filed out of the lab, Carter looked at Vera and she was smiling.