The General

I did not expect to see this child ever again. Yet here he was again, only this time he wasn't a street boy begging for loose change.

"Please Ma'am, any money is good money for me." He said the first time she met him.

12 years ago she took pity on this child and brought him home with her. Her house was almost as great as the Senator's next door. She had been living like this for many years.

She brought the boy inside, fed him gave him new clothes and even tucked him into bed. She had many extra guest rooms, none were occupied.

"Now you should get some rest, eh? That'll do good for you." She turned to head off to bed herself.

"Ma'am?" The boy said.

"Yes?"

"...Nevermind"

She turned around and continued on her way.

She never should have turned her back on that boy.

In the night, while she slept, dreaming about making eggs and pancakes for him in the morning, the boy returned with a kitchen knife. The last thing she saw was an innocent boy holding the very knife she planned on using for breakfast that morning.

She was left with no funds left in her house, all her jewelry stolen, and her eyesight robbed.

She never was quite the same woman again. That is why, to this day, the General believed in magic. She always sought it out, trying to find it. She hoped that one day, she could have her vision restored by it, instead of the borderline defective cyborg eyes that only show black and white pictures, fuzzy images, and imperfect depth perception.

Yet here was that same boy.

She stared at him with more hate for anything she ever had in her entire life of 50 years.