Aragorn ~ Silence

He felt lost.

You were gone and he did not know how to take it.

He had thought that it had been a simple argument, thought that it would blow over just like the last one, but you had left, you had had enough.

Too long had you spent trying to tell him to accept his destiny. Too long had you spent telling him he could be so much more than a mere ranger.

Too long had you spent waiting for him to tell you how he felt.

Unable to bear the pain any longer, you had left.

Now he was alone and in silence. He had never thought that you would leave, that he would miss your laugh, your smile, that mischevious look you got in your eye right before you got them into trouble. He had never thought it because he never thought you would leave.

He knew how you felt about him, you had told him more than once, but he never thought he had to reply because he thought you knew. Surely the looks he gave you were enough? The simple gifts? The light touches? The long nights of wandering the woods together, sometimes in silence?

He thought you knew that he loved you.

That is why he hadn't expected you to leave.

Aragorn's fingers grabbed into a fistful of his hair as his head bowed, and he began to weep, breaking the silence. He quieted it quickly, allowing the grip in his hair to tighten so much it was the only pain that mattered.

He should be going after you, but he knew your trail would be hard to follow. You were both expert rangers, which meant if you did not want to be found, you wouldn't be, the same with being followed.

He figured that all he could do, was wait to see if you would return.

Maybe you just needed time?

But wasn't time against you? You were both mortal and both of your destinies could lead you into peril, so perhaps he should go after you? Perhaps he should track you down, grab hold of you and confess everything?

Still, Aragorn did not move, silent tears falling down has face an landing on the cold floor.

"Aragorn?"

Your voice startled him as his head snapped up, his blue eyes meeting yours as you stood their guiltily.

"I...I am sorry if I scared you, I just-"

Your words were cut off as he rushed to meet you, pulling you into a bone crushing hug. Whenyou held him back, he started to weep again, surprising you as you had never seen him so broken before.

He sank to his knees, his arms wrapped around your waist and his head resting against you. "I am sorry (y/n), can you forgive me? Can you forgive me for being such a blind fool?"

You did not understand his words as it was you who were feeling guilty. "Aragorn, there is nothing to forgive of you, I am the one who left, I should be asking forgiveness from you."

But he was shaking his head. "No...no, you had every right to leave. I have given you nothing while you have given me everything."

You slowly loosen his grip and crouch down to meet his gaze. "That is not true and you know it."

"It is. You have told me so much that you love me, but I have not returned it." He searches your eyes for your feelings, somethig always so clearly shown. "And I do love you (y/n), I love you more than anything. I was so lost at the thought of never seeing you again-" He cuts himself off as he shudders, hanging his head.

You were not expecting such a reaction from him. You knew he loved you in his own way, but you never thought that they would be returned in the same strength as your own.

Silently, you pulled the shaken man into your arms and you held each other. You both cried, this was true, but it would only be too each other that you ever would, everyone else would only see the wilderness weary rangers, ready to jump in at any cost.

As you both settled, having stretched out on the floor to hold each other closer, he shared everything with you, completely, for the first time, and you learnt of his fears and worries, his hopes and dreams, and as you listened, gently stroking his hair, you realised it made you love the man more.

"Can you stay with me? Even with the burden I must bare?" He mumbles against your neck.

"I would not have been telling you otherwise, Aragorn. I will share whatever burden you must carry." You said this while gently stroking his hair. "I would do anything for you, you know this, you've known this since we were children."

He raises his head to look down at you, his eyes asking a million different questions. But you just place a hand on his cheek and in that moment you see his fear disappear as he leans in to kiss you.

The kiss is gentle and slow, as if for the first time he was truly getting to know you, and it left you breathless.

Aragorn pulls away, staring at you with loving eyes. "Promise me soemthing?"

"Anything."

"If I'm ever that foolish again, leave and come back. It seems as if it's the only way for me to realise these things."

You smiled. "If my king demands."

He grins, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "He does." The leans in close again. "Just as he demands other things."

Giggling, you pull him down to meet your lips again.

Sometime later, you would admit that you hadn't left on purpose, that you were so caught up in your own world that you failed to notice you had left at all and felt terrible for leaving. But he would just laugh it off, pulling you close and say that you should have done so sooner.