Thorin ~ Battleborn 11

It took Dwalin a while, but he eventually found the door he was looking for.

Carefully, he knocks.

"What?"  Evanna's voice came through the door.

Dwalin opens it and steps inside, the room having been partially cleaned and Evanna sitting at the end of the bed.

"Evanna-"

"I'm fine."  She said before he could ask.

"No you're not."  Dwalin growled, walking over to her.  "He just-"

"I know."  Evanna shut her eyes for a moment.  "Trust me, I know."

Dwalin rubbed his beard in frustration.  "Evanna, you cannot just shut this out."

She turns to him, her eyes sad and hurting.  "What would you have me do?  If I let this get the better of me...I will leave Dwalin, and I won't look back."

Dwalin let's out a slow breath.  "We're going to need you out there Evanna."

"Why do you think I haven't left." She said bitterly, standing up.  "I'm not stupid Dwalin."

He watches as she walks over to a set of armour that was strewn out across a table.

"Is that-"

"He wasn't wearing it that day."  She said quietly.  "He never stood a chance."

Dwalin only left Evanna once she assured him she was staying, however once they were all on the wall, the elven forces bellow them, he almost thought that she wouldn't turn up.

Then there was the sound of armour walking towards them.

They all turn, Evanna walking towards them in a black armour, a helmet under arms.  Her eyes were mercilessly blank as she walked up to them.

"That's-"

Evanna just nods at Balin's unasked question.  It was clear she was in no mood to talk.

Thorin was staring at her, something unclear going on behind his gaze.

"Nice of you to join us Battleborn."  He growls and focuses back on the army below.

After Thranduil told his archers to draw, Evanna and Thorin were the only two who did not duck.

Then, when the Arkenstone was revealed, Evanna was the one to grab Thorin's arm, stopping him from harming Bilbo.

"Enough."  Her voice was quiet, but again, something flashed across Thorin's gaze in recognition, letting go of Bilbo.

Evanna stepped away once Bilbo was safe.

She watched the dwarven army approach, an uneasy feeling in her stomach.

Something more was coming.

When the ground began to shake, Evanna fingers turned white as she gripped the wall, the army of orcs marching forward.  Her gaze travelled to Ravenhill as the horn sounded.

"Not good."  She breathed.

The dwarves and elves joined in battle against the orcs.

Thorin called them from the wall.

"What?"

"Thorin, we can't just-"

"I said we stay."

The others begrudgingly left the wall, but Evanna did not move.

Her hand tightened on her sword at her waist.  She couldn't just stand there and do nothing.