Bard ~ Archery

"Bard, this is ridiculous."

"Trust me, it is worth it."

"But I can't see anything."

"Because it would spoil the surprise."

"Well, how much longer?"

"Soon."

I huff impatiently, folding my arms as Bard steered the boat. I'd been blind folded for a while now, and it was getting annoying.

The boat stopped.

"Here." Bard's voice made me jump slightly as he took my hand and led me from the boat. He stopped me, his hands pausing at the blind fold. "Ready?"

"Really Bard?"

He laughs and slips it from my eyes. It takes me a minute for my eyes to adjust, but once they do, my eyes widened in surprise.

Set up before us, was a small archery range.

Bard was grinning. "You're always nagging me to learn, so I thought it about time I teach you."

I stare at the range and then at him. "You're serious?"

"Of course. I'm not going to bring my favorite girl out here only to show her and take her back."

I blush when he says that, although we had been showing affection towards each other for months. "I never thought you would actually do it."

Bard's grin grew wider. "Of course, just because I didn't let you know that. Plus, I think it will be good to know how to defend yourself at least one way." He grabs my hand and pulls me over to where a bow and some arrows sit.

He picks up the bow, stringing it and handing it to me.

Nervously, I take it, the bow feeling strange in my hand.

Bard watches me as I examine the bow, testing the weight in my hands and the pull on the string.

"I found one of the lightest I could. I didn't want you pulling anything on your first time shooting." He hands me an arrow. "Now, knock the arrow and draw the bow back, but don't release yet."

I do as he says, and he steps close and adjusts where my shoulders should be and the height of my back elbow.

I put down and draw up again, he only had to push my elbow down slightly. Then he explained how to aim, to make sure the string was aligned with the back of the bow and the arrow slightly higher than where I wanted to hit.

This went on for several minutes before he let me take my first shot.

"Bard?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I just take a shot please?

He laughs and nods. "Right, sorry, I get a little carried away."

I did as he told me and let the string go.

It missed terribly.

I pouted as he laughed.

"Don't worry, everyone's first shot misses. Just try again."

And so the morning went on, as I would try to shoot the target and Bard would direct me as what I was doing wrong. He was a confident teacher and I would often feel his hands slightly on me as he directed me.

It seemed to take ages for me to it the target.

Bard was beaming. "See, patience pays off."

I role my eyes. "Is that a dig at me Bard?"