Connected 13

Sorry it's been so long guys, I may have been a bit distracted by Supernatural...

Laketown did eventually prove somewhat welcome to the dwarves.  After a failed attempt at stealing weapons and then the promise of sending them gold, they were given food and lodging in the master's house.

Keeva and Veera weren't comfortable, but they were glad the others were getting some much needed rest and recovery.  Keeva was now warmly next to Dwalin, the change in them dramatic and had Veera smiling at her sister.

But Veera was distracted, from where she sat next to Thorin, the mountain loomed before her.

She moved off quietly by herself after a while, making her way to a balcony that couldn't see the mountain and breathing in the chilled night air.

"You let yourself be troubled too easily."

She laughs a little as Thorin's arms came around her and he nuzzled into the back of her neck.

"That is rich coming from you."

He chuckles.  "Well, I have to try and make you feel better."

Veera leans against him.  "It's going to take more than that Thorin.  We're near the end of the road..."

"I know..."  He replied softly.  "And I could ask for no other to be beside me."

She hums and closes her eyes, letting herself just feel the comfort and warmth of having him close, letting it chase away her worries and fears for the moment, maybe even consider a path beyond what they both knew was coming.

"I'll be here, no matter what happens."  He whispers into her ear, making her hands rest over his and give a gentle squeeze.

"I love you."  She returned, not wanting to destroy the peaceful silence around them.

"And I, you."  His arms tighten around her and he places a kiss on her neck.  "It will be okay Veera.  I promise."

There was so much she wanted to say to that, but she knew she couldn't, even as Thorin sensed her discomfort.  She turned in his arms and wrapped them firmly around him, Thorin quickly returning the tight hold as she buried against his chest, his head resting atop hers.

There was no more said between them that night.  They both knew that no words would be the right words.

The next day came too quick, the dwarves up at dawn and preparing a boat to go over to the mountain.  Veera and Keeva stood next to each other, the dwarves refusing to let them do anything as they got weapons and supplies into the boat.

"Anyone would think they don't think us capable."  Keeva huffed.

Veera gives a strained smile to her sister.  "Oh, they know, their pride just won't allow it."

They hold each other's gaze for a moment.

Keeva gives a small nervous smile.  "It almost feels a little normal again doesn't it?"

Veera nods.  "A little."

Keeva lets out a slow breath.  "I think I can live with that."

Veera smiles and nods again before they were both called over to the boat, Dwalin and Thorin waiting to help them in.  They hadn't said anything as Thorin had ordered for Fili and Kili to stay behind, knowing that it would be safer for the younger dwarves, especially with the wound Kili was carrying, but Veera especially knew that it was beating on Thorin.

"It was the right thing to do."

He just nods, not wanting to make it too obvious about how worried he truly was, the others all looking to him as they took off.