Thorin ~ Battleborn 2

"Oi."

Thorin looked up just in time to catch the sword thrown his way and he stared cautiously at Evanna.

"What?"

She had her own sword drawn, which she was now lightly swinging around. She grins. "You're out of practise."

Thorin scoffs at her. "I am not."

"Yes you are, you old dwarf, now get up and fight me before I ask the other old man next to you."

Dwalin snorts. "Watch it lass, all you'll have both of us on your tail."

But this just widens her grin. "The more the merrier."

Dwalin shakes his head. "These old bones are tired after a day of walking."

Evanna snorts. "Yeah, old bones, that's what the ladies around Ered Luin call you."

"Like you know what the ladies say about me."

"Oh trust me, they talk a lot, and I do mean a lot."

"Enough." Thorin growls. "Why would you even listen to them talk about that?"

"Well, I gotta get dirt on you two somehow. What better way than listening to the gossip of other women?"

"Oh, so that's where you got your ability to talk so much?"

"Yeah, but not my ability to fight. Now are you going to get off your arse and fight me or not?"

Thorin rolls his eyes as Dwalin laughs besides him. It had been a long few weeks on the road and there had been a lot of stirring the pot. Thorin gave as good as he got, but Evanna had a greater patience for it than he did.

Except for when she was in the mood for a fight.

And Thorin knew this. "I don't see why I should, you've been badgering me all day."

"Badgering you about details for what you planned, something I feel I should know."

"You are not even meant to be here-"

"Thorin, if you don't get up this instant, I'm going to make you."

They stared at each other and Dwalin can't help but laugh again.

"You know she could." He said to him.

Thorin grunts and rolls his eyes, getting to his feet.

"So you'll listen to Dwalin but not me?"

"No, it's just because you are so insistent."

The Company themselves were watching all this with mild amusement, most of them knowing what the two of them were like, but there was a brewing excitement, as a fight between Thorin and Evanna was always a good one.

And when there was a good fight, there was good gold.

"Just fight already," Dwalin growled. "Might mean both of you sleep properly for once."

Thorin shot him a very dark look but Dwalin just waved a hand towards Evanna, who was now standing at the ready.

The fight began quickly, Thorin wasting no time, trying to catch her off guard, but she was ready. They both knew how the other fought perfectly, so even going flat out, metal crashing against metal, they did not hurt the other.

Dwalin still marvelled at this. He was a good fighter, this was true, but both of them could still disarm him within minutes of starting a practise match.

Yet neither of them had ever bested the other.

It was always hard to tell whether this frustrated Evanna or not, as she always strived to be the best fighter, and yet, she would always congratulate Thorin on being able to keep up.