Thranduil ~ Fire

You could still smell the smoke in the air.

How had it come to this?

You stood and watched what remained of Dale burn, the dragon now sheltered in Erebor as the dwarves fled in terror.

You watched as Thranduil turned away.

How had it come to this?

As a healer, you felt the need to help the suffering people, and Thranduil let you go.

"But only the people," he insisted. "The dwarves must know the severity of dragon fire."

You found this strange, and such an uneasiness overtook you, you knew you were going to ignore your kings orders.

You knew the pain of dragon fire, knew its wrath, and knew, that no matter what the dwarves had done, none deserved this.

Working quickly, you moved amongst the people, tending their wounds and lending aid where they were trapped in the rubble.

When the shout went around for aid to the dwarves, you were the first to move, despite warnings from the others about disobeying your king.

You were not afraid of Thranduil.

You spent many hours working through the dwarves, many seriously wounded, and many in deep stages of grief.

Thrain thanked you, but he was one of few. You didn't expect it, after Thranduil turning away, so you did not blame those that did not.

It was some time before you and the other healers returned to Mirkwood. All exhausted, you were looking forward to having some rest.

Your King had other ideas.

"Y/N." One of the guards call. "King Thranduil wishes to see you."

You sigh and ignore the worried glances from those behind you. "Of course. Will he allow me to clean up first?"

The guard bows and leaves you be.

"We told you," One of the others hissed.

"It will be alright." You wave an airy hand, walking towards your room. "I've have dealt with worse."

They clearly were not convinced, but said nothing.

Once clean and appropriately dressed, you went before the king.

He sat elegantly, high upon his throne, and looked down on you with a cold, blue eyed stare, as you enter.

"If I recall," He begins. "I left strict instructions for the dwarves not to be helped."

You bow politely. "You did, my King. However, as healer I feel it my duty to help those in need, orders or no."

Thranduil tilts his head slightly. "So your King's orders mean nothing?"

"I did not say-"

"No, but that is what your actions have proved." He says coldly, his gaze unyielding from your own. "And the last thing I need is someone who is disloyal."

You stood up a bit taller, looking at him with a very angry stare. "I am anything but disloyal. You of all people know that."

Thranduil stares for a moment then holds up a hand to his guards. "Leave us."

They exit silently.

He sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose. "What am I to do with you? You were persistent in this, and yet you do everything against my word."

You roll your eyes, knowing he is being dramatic. "Just because I do not allow myself to be dominated, does not mean I go against your every word."

He gives a surveying look, his long fingers resting under his chin. "Dominated? I only say what I feel is best."

"Leaving those dwarves to suffer was not for the best, Thranduil."

"What else would you have me do? They hold the heirlooms to my kingdom, heirlooms that are now in the possession of a fire breathing dragon." His lips press together for a moment, showing his pain.

"I understand that,"You say softly, looking at him with a kind gaze that softens the pain on his face. "But that does not give the right to show no compassion."

"Compassion..." He trails off, shutting his eyes for a moment, before standing and strolling down the stairs from his throne towards you. He stops before you, looking at you with an odd expression. "And you would know compassion?"

"I show you compassion everyday, no matter my mood." You fold your arms. "So you should know."

There is a moment where neither of you move, just looking at each other, trying to work out what the other will do next.

Thranduil moves quickly, dipping his head and placing a swift kiss to your lips, you follow but he has already moved back, a small smirk on his lips.

"Forgive me, Y/N." He says. "Seeing that dragon...I tried to warn them and they would not listen."

You step forward, placing a hand on his cheek where magic was hiding his old scars from long ago, he leans into it, his hand covering yours.

"Would it not be fairer to show that you understand their pain?" You ask. "They now have nothing."

"If I gave them help, they would not learn." His arm wraps around you, pulling you close. "But...if you wish to take others out to attend the wounded, I shall allow it. At least we had that."

With a sigh, you rest against him. You knew that this would be the best he would give the dwarves. There was too much animosity between them now.

"You are tired, love." He murmurs into your hair. "Come, let us retire for the night."

"Promise me something?"

"Anything."

"Promise you will try and be more understanding?"

Thranduil sighs but smiles down at you. "Only for you, love. Only for you."

And without another word, he lifts you into his arms and carries you through the halls. The other elves leave you be as he whispers sweet words to you, and by the time you reach the bed chambers, you were fast asleep in his arms.