Bofur ~ Mistakes

Bofur was the first to admit that he had been stupid, whether you denied it or not, he would not let you go until you agreed with him. As he looked at it, his mistakes had almost cost you both the relationship.

Not that it had been easy to begin with, as Thorin Oakenshield's daughter, it wasn't exactly seen as the right thing to do, on either of your parts. But you both had no control over how you felt, and it had been clear from early on in the adventure that you were developing feelings for the other.

After turning up unexpectedly on Bilbo Baggins doorstep with your mother at word from Gandalf, there had been much surprise, after all, Thorin did not know you existed, your mother having fled for her own reasons when she discovered she was with child.

And no one could deny you were Thorin's daughter, with the way you held yourself alone, it was enough to convince many of the dwarves of who you were.

Tensions had been high that night, as your mother was no push over and she held a lot of resentment for Thorin, despite their relationship, claiming that he never cared for her enough. Thorin was adamant that he did, and had you not been there, you were pretty sure that it would break out into fight.

There was a natural calmness about you, and while you did have a temper, it didn't come out very often, you preferred solving problems in a calm state of mind rather than an angry one, and it was a nice reprieve to a lot of the dwarves.

Much to your dismay, your mother joined you on the journey, and you spent a lot of time having a go at both of them when they started to fight. But, you ended up growing close to Thorin, despite your mothers reluctance, but with that came a certain amount of responsibility.

It had been in Rivendell when Thorin had first spotted the connection between you and Bofur, after you joined him in song at the table during dinner one night. You'd often sung amongst the company, it was something that you enjoyed doing, but this had been different, you had joined Bofur in the song and then you had both started to dance.

Bofur had always said that he had first fallen in love with your laugh.

You had quickly joined in your cousins little pranks, the brothers over joyed to have an extra set of hands, and it didn't take much to convince them to play them on Thorin and your mother. It meant that the three of you were often in trouble, but it brought a lot of joy to the Company, and, the three of you always claimed, got Thorin and your mother back together.

Either way, it had meant that camp had often been filled with laughter.

And Bofur had quickly fallen for you.

Thorin had warned him against it, even though you had little clue yourself, and he had agreed, thinking that the feelings would never be returned.

But that changed after the goblin tunnels.

Bofur had thrown his hat on your head, stopping the goblins noticing that you were female, and he'd stayed close the entire time. Your mother had almost been killed and it had left you terrified.

Once you'd escaped on the backs of the eagles, you hadn't even thought much about throwing your arms around him, crying as fear clung to you, his hat still on your head. You had been raised a warrior, but had not expected anything like that.

Thorin had shot glares at Bofur, but being to preoccupied caring for your mother and his own injuries, it didn't last long.

He let you keep his hat until you'd settled down enough to return it to him at Beorn's.

It had led to a discussion where Bofur had to break your heart.

You were a little broken after that, you didn't laugh or sing as much, instead staying in much surlier moods.

But then you found out Thorin was the reason that Bofur had said those things.

And you were furious.

You had little time to discuss it in the prison of Mirkwood, so you were forced to wait until you reached Laketown.

The fight hadn't gone well. You had a right to make your own decisions, you were older than Fili, but he denied that, saying that he had a word in who you could be with. You had ended it in a fury, claiming that he could never be your father and storming away.

To make matters worse, you stayed behind with Bofur, Oin, Fili and Kili, claiming that it was no home of yours that you were returning to.

You tried to make things right with Bofur, but he was still adamant that it could not work, Thorin's orders still at play, and this angered you even more.

Love had no boundary to orders.

Bofur was adamant, even after words from Oin and Fili after you had stormed out.

But Bofur was the first to look for you after the orcs attacked, and then he never let you go while Smaug laid waste to the city.

It was seeing Tauriel and Kili's final moments together that convinced him.

Even though he said nothing at first, you could see something had changed in him.

He found you in Erebor and apologised profusely, swearing he would spend the rest of his life making it up to you.

But now you were the one that was scared. Thorin's gold sickness made you feel physically ill, after all, what if that happened to you? Or any children you should raise? You didn't even want to consider the possibilities.

Bofur got angry, not understanding, and he wasn't one to get angry, so it came out as hot tears and a broken voice, and you were left feeling guilty and alone.

It was your mother that had changed your mind, reminding you that you always have a choice in such things.

"You can let it consume you, or you can fight it to the bitter end."

It changed you, but with war already on the doorstep, there was little time to make things right.

Seeing Thorin recover cemented it and made Bofur understand.

The battle raged quickly, and you got separated from the others in the midst of it. You watched Thorin, Dwalin, Fili and Kili travel up Ravenhill, feeling as if you should be there with them, so you followed.

You found Legolas and Tauriel part of the way up, joining them till you reached the top before fighting side by side with Dwalin.

You watched your father fall.

"You follow your heart and never let it go."

They were the final words he said to you.

You left just as the others arrived, your mother not with them, and with the excuse that she had to know to, you ran.

Your mother was gone too.

Finding her on the field, you wept, holding her in your arms until two strong arms led you away and held you until no more tears would come.

Bofur didn't let you far from his side from then on, your emotions askew, it was hard to laugh, but he kept trying, even through his own grief.

The funeral had been the hardest, with your mother, father, and two cousins gone, you really had no family left. As your parents had not been married, you also had no claim to the throne, not that it bothered you much.

So, with the mistakes made and the journey now over, neither of you were really sure what to say to the other, and decided that few words were needed at all.

The night of celebration, in amongst the song and dance and drinking and stealing his hat, you shared your first kiss and let your lives move on from there.