Gimli ~ Axe

The last thing Gimli expected on heading to Rivendell was that he would find love. Focused on the task ahead, he had little time to wonder of such things.

And yet, there she had been, all black hair and green eyes, talking to the elves as if she owned the place.

She was a warrior, that was clear by the tattoos on her arms and the heavy boots she wore, clearly having seen better days, but he could not place her. She was a dwarf but he did not know where from.

Only a sharp nudge from Gloin had gotten him moving again and it was then he realised he'd been staring.

He was even more stunned when she turned up at the council, sitting between the elves and the dwarves.

"Who is she?" He leant over and asked Gloin.

Gloin shrugs. "We don't know."

The meeting dragged out and she remained silent, at least until Boromir continued his argument.

"I'd change that outlook if I were you, Captain of Gondor, there is no one on your side for this." She held the Captains gaze as he stared at her. "It has already been said that the ring of power can only be wielded by Sauron himself, and seeing as that knowledge is coming from a ring bearer, I suggest you keep you mouth shut."

"And what knowledge could you possibly have, dwarf?"

"More than you." She says quietly. "You should not speak of what you do not know."

"And yet there you sit between elves and dwarves, do you even belong to a side?"

Her eyes flashed dangerously. "There is no need for a side now, we are all on the same side. Now I've been summoned here same as you, so I suggest keeping your mouth shut."

Boromir went to argue but Elrond cut in.

"Salia is here by my request and has seen much more than you think, Boromir. I would suggest not arguing with her." This earns an eye roll from her.

The first thing that Gimli said to her, was as she volunteered to join the quest.

"Are you sure that's wise lass?"

She raises an eyebrow at him. "This coming from the dwarf that tried to smash the one ring with an axe?"

Gimli's face matched his hair as she smirks, joining them.

Gimli honestly didn't know what to think of Salia as they traveled. She didn't get along with Boromir, that was clear, she often spoke with Aragorn and Gandalf, discussing the best ways to travel.

What really bothered him though, was when she talked to Legolas in elvish. The first time she had spoken to him, Gimli had almost fallen over in shock, he'd never heard a dwarf speak elvish before.

"Why on earth is that language coming out of your mouth?"

Her usual response to him, a raised eyebrow. "That would be called elvish."

"Why is it coming out of your mouth?"

"Because unlike other dwarves, I don't share our cultural views." She smiles. "And it's saved my life more than a few times."

Gimli stares at her as she returns to her conversation with Legolas, Aragorn and Gandalf laughing behind him.

"Don't worry Gimli, she's like this with everyone."

Salia was the one that mostly led through the mines of Moria, Gandalf aiding every now and then. Her knowledge of the roads astounded him and she helped share tales that he knew.

They were both on watch when Gimli finally tried to have a proper conversation.

"So, how do you know so much about Moria?"

"Well, that's usually what happens when you travel roads before, you come to know them." She says queitly with a smile.

"You've been here?"

"A few times. There are few places in Middle Earth I have not seen."

Gimli watched her, he had never met anyone like her and he honestly didn't know how to feel about it.

"Get some rest Gimli, I can keep on watch."

"I couldn't let you do that my lady." He says gruffly, frowning.

"Salia, please, my lady makes me feel old." She chuckles lightly. "It's all my father used to call my mother."

"Well Salia, I couldn't possibly let you stay up on your own." He smiles. "I don't think I'd hear the end of it."

"Especially from Legolas." She smiles. "You should give him a chance, you two would get along well."

He wanted to argue that, but managed to hold his tongue, even as she laughed quietly at him.

After Gandalf passed, she helped Aragorn keep them moving, despite her own grief, they had been good friends.

After Boromir's death, she was the first one to keep going after the hobbits, the other three catching up.

And then, she saved his life.

During the warg attack on the way to Helms Deep, Gimli found himself trapped under a warg, another approaching as he tried to get free.

Her axe had swung in, burying into the warg and twisting so it wouldn't land on him. Her face was covered in blood as she tugs her axe out and helps get the other off him, holding her hand out to him.

"Not going to kill many down there."

He chuckles as he takes her hand, allowing her to pull him up.

"Still bet I've killed more than you." He smiles.

"Well, unless you are on more than twenty three, you've got some catching up to do." Salia winks at him and then jogs off to rejoin the battle, leaving him stunned.

Helms Deep, he saved her.

The orcs had broken through and were flooding the keep, he'd lost track of her earlier and was looking for her as they retreated.

He saw her fighting back a wave of orcs, just her axe in hand. He called to Aragorn and Legolas for aid as he charges in to help her.

She had taken a hit and bleeding badly.

Gimli managed to get her away, half carrying her.

Safe in the keep, he patched up her wounds as they talked about what to do.

"Thank you." She says quietly, as he wraps a wound on her leg.

He briefly meets her eye before returning his gaze to her leg. "Well, I was hardly going to leave you there, was I?"

Salia takes his hand. "I mean it Gimli."

They hold each others gaze.

"You are welcome Salia."

It was before they left for Mordor, that Salia approached Gimli alone.

"So are you going to ask me before we all go to die or what?"

Gimli stares at her. "What?"

Salia gives half a grin. "Are you going to ask me?"

"Ask you what?"

She sighs, rolling her eyes before striding over and placing a firm kiss on his lips.

Smiling, she turns away as he sits their frozen. "I'm sure you'll figure it out."

She walks away and it wasn't until she disappeared that he jumped his feet and went over to her.

"Salia, wait!"

Her laughter taunted him as she took off down the hall, forcing him to follow.