Thranduil ~ Daisies

This is a one shot, so please don't kill me, this was so difficult to write.

You fluff with the flowers once again, a small frown creasing your forehead as you try and get them just right. This was always the most frustrating part of your morning, making sure that display on the King's table was right.

Finally, you stepped back, and smiled.

The fresh daisies were perfectly displayed and a sense of pride filled you as it did every morning.

"Perfect as always Y/N."

You turn, still smiling, to face the king, giving a slight curtsey. "Only the best for you my king."

Thranduil returns your smile. "Well, I find myself thanking you once again, as I do everything morning."

You laugh a little. "There is no need my King, I am just doing my job."

He shakes his head. "If you were doing your job Y/N, you wouldn't put it so carefully."

With a light shrug, you smile. "Maybe I just love my job."

"Right." He said slowly. "If you love it so much, shouldn't you be attending it?"

You feign hurt. "Do you not want to talk to me this morning Thranduil? I'm a little upset."

He laughs, which is exactly what you had wanted. "I am sorry my lady, I meant no offense. Won't you please join me for lunch as forgiveness?"

You stride past him, grinning back. "Well, I haven't said no yet."

His laughter follows you down the hall. The two of you had been friends since childhood, and even as your positions changed, the friendship never did, which was why, most days, the two of you could be seen having lunch together.

When you were younger, others used to talk, after all, he was a prince and you the daughter of a maid, so it was seen as rather strange.

His father soon forbade it.

But neither of you were really interested, you were content on being friends.

At least, you were back then.

It had been a sudden realisation to you, listening to Thranduil rant about his father wanting to set up an arranged marriage, that you wished that it was you and the thought of any other created such a swell of jealousy, that it shook you too your core.

You were in love with Thranduil.

And there was no way you could tell him.

So you just left it as a friendship, hoping that one day you could fall for someone else.

But you hadn't yet.

Little did you know of course, but Thranduil felt the same. Although he was king now, he still felt bound by his fathers word, and it held him back.

Even now, when he was being advised to find a queen, he found he could still not ask.

Your lunches were a daily routine, unless he got caught in a meeting of some sorts, and you both looked forward to it.

Today was no different.

You had a tendency to be early, just because you liked to set everything up and make sure it all looked organised and well placed.

Thranduil called it your bad habit.

"Y/N, have you ever had a disorganised day in your life?"

"You know I haven't." You said with a smile as he approached. "Besides, I think it's much better when everything has its place."