Thorin ~ Accidents 5

If the dwarves had thought that dealing with Louisa and Gandalf would be the last of their problems around camp, after Louisa had saved the wolf pup, it became quickly clear he was going to be just as difficult.

They had told Louisa to get rid of him, but she didn't have the heart to do, and threatened to blind Dwalin when he offered to do it for her.

It was made worse when she named him.

"What kind of name is Sirius?"  Dwalin growled one evening.  "She shouldn't be naming it when she can't keep it."

Balin chuckles next to him.  "I think we're a little beyond what she can't do Dwalin."

Dwalin turned to Thorin, who he knew shared his opinion, but he found Thorin not listening, his gaze locked across the fire to the other side of camp where Louisa was smiling at Sirius as fed him bits of her dinner, the little pup on his best behaviour.

Dwalin rolled his eyes.  "You keep doing that, others are going to start noticing."

Thorin shoots him a dark look.  "I simply have an idea."  He stood, leaving Dwalin and Balin with a raised eyebrow as he strode over to Louisa, who cautiously looked up as he approached.

He folds his arms, looking down at her with a serious expression.  "Louisa, I know you don't want to get rid of...of the wolf pup, so I simply want to offer a solution."

Louisa stared at Thorin, her gaze curious but clearly showed her hesitation in hearing what he had to say.  "Okay?"

Thorin looked down at the pup before looking back at her.  "He may stay if you learn how to fight."

Her jaw dropped a little and she frowned.  "That is hardly fair."

"You wish to keep him, he must be defended, and seeing as he doesn't leave your side..."  Thorin left it open with a shrug.

Louisa's gaze narrowed on him, knowing precisely what he was doing.  "That's called manipulation."

"Call it what you want, that is the only way he is staying."  Thorin said firmly.  "I didn't want it to come to this, but you are leaving me no choice.  We would all feel better if you defend yourself, even a little."

"I can-"

"You know, thinking on it," Gandalf cut over her, earning a dark glare from her.  "It may not be such a idea Louisa.  If we are getting attacked by orcs in these lands, then who knows what else we will come across."

Louisa stared at Gandalf, not believing that he would suddenly be siding with them, Thorin looking smug as she huffs.

"Honestly..."  She muttered under her breath.  "Fine.  I'm not going to get any peace otherwise."

Thorin nods in affirmation, striding back over to where he had been sitting, unperturbed by Louisa's dark gaze following him back.

Dwalin can't help but chuckle as Thorin sits.  "You are asking for trouble with that one."

"I am simply making sure she is capable of handling herself."  Thorin growled.

"Oh, I think she's proven that already."

The next night, Louisa found herself facing against Fili, who looked just as nervous as she felt, a sword gripped in her hand and much too aware of all the eyes on her.

"I don't see why they all have to watch."  She grumbled.

Fili tries to give her an encouraging smile.  "They just want to make sure that you will learn properly."