Eomer ~ Stay 3

Nerves and excitement was bubbling in my blood, the battlefield before us. My hands were tight on the reigns of my horse and my face grim upon seeing my city besieged.

"Sarena," I look over at Eomer, seeing the same emotions pass through him. "It will be alright. We will get through it."

I nod in response, swallowing hard. "I know."

We hadn't spoken of what was to come, we'd spent the night curled up together in near silence, occasionally talking, but just enjoying the comfort of one and other.

And now I think we were both wishing we had spoken more.

Eomer shifted his position on Firefoot. "Sarena, if we don't-"

"We can't think like that." I said adamantly.

"I know." He frowns. "I love you."

My chest tightened. "I love you too."

King Theoden started his speech and we fell silent, both casting a final glance at each other before setting our eyes forward.

With wild cries, we charged, and as the battle intensified, I lost track of Eomer. Not that I had time to worry, my own life under threat. My horse got hit and we both went down, luckily he didn't crush me and I managed to quickly rejoin the battle, my sword making quick work of the orcs around me.

When the call went out to reclaim the city, I did not hesitate to start to charge.

The second horn made me freeze. Seeing what was coming, made my stomach drop. Sauron truly was pulling out everything to destroy the race of men. The hoard coming towards us were unlike anything I had ever seen and I had no idea how we were going to stop this.

"Sarena!"

I looked up, Eomer riding towards me, he holds it his hand and I take it, leaping up behind him on his horse.

"You are meant to stay on your horse." He says loudly, riding to where our forces were regathering.

"I originally didn't have any intention of falling off!" I said back, holding on to him tightly.

"Well, stay on mine."

"I can't guarantee it." I laughed.

This charge was much less spectacular. The horses being no match for the mûmakil. Eomer got off a well aimed spear and managed to hit one on the head while I defended our flanks, something not easy with two of us.

We rode under a second one and I noticed a rope hanging down.

"Go towards the rope!" I yell.

Eomer does as I say and I hold onto him as I stand up on the back of Firefoot.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

But I didn't have time to answer as I jumped for the rope, grabbing onto and swinging wildly. He watched with his mouth open as I started to climb, something was easier said than done.

I reached the harness, making it much easier climb, and final got onto the saddle. Several of them died before I was noticed, then the archers turned on me, luckily, close range wasn't a specialty.

Then, it was only me and rider left.

I didn't even think, charging and swinging my sword wide, the blade burying in his neck. The rider fell and I suddenly had a very bad feeling.

The tug on the creatures ear made it turn wildly left and head straight for another. My stomach sunk as I realised that there was nothing I could do.