Thorin ~ Magic 5

The run from the goblins then Azog had taken its toll on all the company.

Especially Kesia.

She had rested once they were in the tree, allowing the others to take control as she tried to regain her energy to fight.

But then something happened she did not expect.

Thorin went to fight Azog.

She tried to tell him it was foolish but he had shut her out and she didn't have the strength to break through his walls.

When he'd been wounded, it had almost felt like a physical wound to herself. She could not move from the branch she was holding onto.

As the eagles turned up, she allowed herself to drop, falling onto the back of one, and then she focused solely on what Thorin's injuries were, the air clearing her mind and allowing her the freedom to help.

She spent the last of her energy healing his wounds as the eagles flew through the sky.

Kesia's eagle didn't land until Gandalf had awoken Thorin.

Gandalf had been the first to realise something was wrong.

"Kesia!" He rushed over to gently take her from the eagles back. She was cold.

Frowning, he looked over her as the others rushed over and then understood.

"It appears you are very lucky, Thorin Oakenshield."

Thorin raises his eyebrows in surprise, his worry for Kesia gnawing at him. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that your connection with Kesia allowed her to heal most of you injuries, despite her own exhausted state." Gandalf said stiffly. "If it wasn't for her, I doubt you would even be walking."

Thorin shuffled uncomfortably on his feet. In his unconscious state, he thought he remembered a voice talking to him with words he could not understand, but he just thought he had dreamt it.

Now he knew otherwise.

"Will...will she be alright?" He asked quietly.

"That depends." Gandalf brushed her hair back and placed the back of his hand over her mouth, her breathing very shallow.

"On what?"

"Whether you lot are willing to carry her. We cannot stay here. Azog's pursuit will be relentless." He looks at them all, but mostly Thorin. "The only way she is going to be able to move is if she is carried."

"You can't wake her up like you did Thorin?" Fili asks nervously.

Gandalf shakes his head. "Her unconscious state is very different to what Thorin's was. The only way she can come back is by returning to it herself."

None of them argued against carrying her. Once down from where the eagles had left them, they hurriedly built a make shift stretcher and then took it in turns as they ran.

Each night they dared to rest, on Gandalf's instructions, they made her a bed of earth to lie in. Gandalf would never explain more than that and none of them really wanted to argue.

While Gandalf was clearly worried for her, the one taking it the worst was Thorin. The others just assumed it was because of his fight with Azog, but Gandalf knew better.

One night, he came and sat with him, much to Thorin's annoyance.

"Tell me," Gandalf started quietly. "Exactly how strong had your connection with Kesia gotten?"