Boromir ~ Shield 3

I awoke to angry, hushed, voices. It took a moment, but slowly I realised that it was the voices of Aragorn and Boromir.

It was the first time I had heard Aragorn really angry, normally when he was upset, it was directed at me, but he was still calm and collected, this time, it sounded like even he was struggling to control that.

"It is not a complicated question Boromir, you either know or you don't." He said angrily.

"It is also none of your concern." Boromir retorted.

"Aramika is my sister, of course it is my concern." Aragorn hissed as I stilled, not allowing the men to know I was awake. "I have never seen her so torn and broken, whether she hides it well or not, and, whether you admit it or not, it has something to do with you."

"Don't be absurd." Boromir grunted. "Aramika is a strong woman, she would not let someone as simple as me, bother her."

"Simple? Boromir, nothing between you and Aramika has been simple, from the moment you met-"

"What are you trying to say Aragorn?"

"You know exactly what I'm trying to say. That is why I asked you the question in the first place!"

Silence fell between them, and I found myself wishing hard, that they would speak.

"As I said, it is not your concern." I heard Boromir get up and walk away, Aragorn letting out an impatient sigh.

"You need to speak to him Aramika."

I sat up to look at him. He knew me like no other, so of course he knew that I was awake.

"About what?"

Aragorn frowns, looking at me darkly. "Don't you start that on me as well. You both know full well what I am talking about, and you are suffering worse than he, and it's killing me watching you go through it."

I remained silent, knowing that he was right, but not entirely sure that I could talk to Boromir about this.

"Just talk to him, Mika, please." Aragorn's voice was quiet, his eyes filled with concern as he looked at me.

I sigh. "This isn't like you and Arwen, Aragorn. It is not easy."

"I am aware," He gives a kind smile. "Nothing like this is, no matter what you see between Arwen and I, we still have our own problems."

Again, I was silent, staring at the sleeping forms of our other companions, the hobbits all huddled close together.

"I wish Gandalf was here."

Aragorn sighs, and gets to his feet to come sit next to me. He places an arm around me, letting me lean into him.

"Me too."

We'd been in Lothlorien a while, it was hard to judge time here, but it gave us each time to mourn and recover. Boromir and I successfully avoided each other constantly, much to Aragorn's annoyance, but it was clear that neither of us were willing to talk.

But, as night set in again one night, I made a decision.

I was relaxed for the first time since being there and felt a walk was necessary. Leaving my shoes and armour behind, I walked away from where we were sitting, relaxing for the evening, having no real focus on where I was going.

There were one pair of eyes watching me as I left.

I didn't really care where I walked, I was content on just feeling the grass beneath my feet and the cool air against my light clothes. It was a nice reprieve from being so confined on the journey.