Thorin ~ Accidents 2

Gandalf had made Louisa stand back at first, causing her to roll her eyes as Gandalf approached the small group of dwarves, all who greeted him with friendly smiles and waves.  She knew they were no threat to her, but that did not change his command.

Finally, he beckons to her to join him.

It was clear that the dwarves were unsure of what to think of her, after all she was barely above their own heights, her hair tied up in a loose ponytail, a pack slung over one shoulder, and a warm brown coat only partially hidden beneath her open grey cloak.  She wasn't armed from what they could see but Gandalf assured them that she was with them in their task ahead.

Louisa still hadn't quite believed Gandalf when he had told of the dragon and what this small band of dwarves wanted to do.  Even now, she seriously doubted that they could succeed in such a task, but with Gandalf now teaching her how to survive in this world, she had little choice but to go on with his word.

They continued the rest of the way through the Shire until they reached Bilbo Baggins home, where the dwarves seemed to bunch on the hobbits door step, falling in when he answered the door.

Louisa simply shook her head.  She couldn't help but feel that there was to be some sort of amusement for some of this journey.

Gandalf put her out of a way, telling her to make herself comfortable in one of Bilbo's chairs by the fire.

"Gandalf, you can't just-"

"Don't worry, I'll make sure you get a plate of food."  He hurried off and she huffed.  Gandalf was a good teacher, but he still seemed insistent that she stay relatively out of the way.

Louisa sat and got comfortable on the chair and pulled out an old looking book from her bag.

It wasn't long before Dori approached holding a pot of tea.

"Er, sorry to disturb you lass, but Gandalf said you would be interested in some tea?"  He asked.

She smiled.  "Thank you Dori."

Dori somewhat seems surprised, but returns her smile.  "You are most welcome miss."

She takes the tea and glances across the hall, where she can see all the dwarves piling food onto the table, Bilbo looking a little lost.  "Are dwarves always this loud?"

"Only when there's food and drink a plenty."  Dori laughs.  "I hope it is not of too much bother."

Louisa shakes head.  "I have the ability to tune out of such things, do not worry."

Dori politely bows from the room, leaving her be with her tea.  She watched the dwarves for a little bit, noticing that the two younger dwarves, ones she hadn't been introduced to, kept passing her curious glances, while a bald one looked at her warily like the rest.

She sighs and returns to her book.

Gandalf brought her a plate of food before joining the others, and she was almost glad that she wasn't in there with them, especially when the belching competition started, although it did make her smile as they all laughed.

The time to clean up seemed to come too quickly, the food finished, and the two younger dwarves started a song.

Her foot tapped as she read, enjoying the beat of music.

The knock on the door made her look up.

There was something familiar about the presence at the door.

Gandalf signalled for her to stay put as he introduced Thorin Oakenshield into the hall.

Thorin stepped up towards the doorway, the others having filled the hall and Louisa knew, even as he clearly judges Bilbo, she knew that she had seen him at the inn that night.