Aragorn ~ Sword 2

I watched it burn.

My fathers life, my life, there it was, just up in flames.

I didn't know how to feel, even as my mother wept beside me, I was just numb all over.

The roof collapsed in and I shut my eyes, not wanting to see it burn any more.

Somehow, something had caught alight, we were always so careful of such things, and then no one was able to put it out.

Luckily, no one had been inside.

But still, now I had nothing.

No one would hire a female blacksmith and we did not have the money to rebuild.

I turned away, unable to face it. I didn't know what to do anymore, the last place my father had been was now gone.

"Isola?" My mothers voice croaked. "What do we do?"

"I don't know." I said quietly. "I honestly don't know."

I ran away.

I took everything I had, including the last sword my father ever made, leaving a note for my mother, apologizing to her and my sisters.

But I could not stay, not with the lingering memory of my father still in the air and nothing left to show for it.

So I took to the road.

It was harder than what I imagined but I soon got used to it, traveling from town to town, offering my services as a blacksmith and occasional baker, something I wasn't as good at but still got me coin.

It was almost six months before Aragorn caught up to me.

I was hunting through the forest, searching for supplies that I could use to make some new arrows, when a sword rested on my shoulder.

I froze, not having heard anyone approach.

"Bit dangerous to be traveling alone, my lady?"

I spun as Aragorn stepped back with a smile, his sword resting on his shoulder.

My hand rested on my chest. "Aragorn, you startled me."

He chuckles. "Apologies Isola, I did not mean to startle you." But his expression then turns serious, filled with concern. "What are you doing out here?"

"Traveling."

He frowns. "On your own? I can't imagine your family like that."

"I would not know, I haven't spoken to them." I said, breaking eye contact with him. "I've been managing."

"They are concerned for you." He says gently. "I came as soon as I heard what happened. I never thought that you would run away."

"I had little left there." I said, trying to avoid the conversation by continuing what I was doing. "So I moved on."

Aragorn watched me carefully. "Isola, this type of life does not suit you."

"I've managed." I said, still not looking at him. "There's been a few rough moments but I've been okay."

He grabs my arm, turning me to face him. "Isola, you need to go home."

I pull my arm away from him. "Why? So I can b reminded everyday that everything of my father is gone? So I can try and rebuild that place despite having no money to do so? No Aragorn, as much as I miss my family, there is nothing for me there."

"The road is a dangerous place."

"And I am not defenceless." I sigh. "Look, I appreciate you coming after me, I do, but I am more than capable on my own."